Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2023, 09:22 PM   #1

Electrical system question, battery disconnect switch

I can't seem to find service for the rV for a month so I ask you folks. I have a battery disconnect switch in the coach which is a momentary switch, one position is "In use" and the other position is "Storage". This switch connects the house batteries to the chassis batteries when in use. When I push the "storage" side of the rocker I hear the relay trying to disconnect but it won't disconnect. I have gone to the control area and physically disconnected the wires so I don't drain both battery sets and felt the solenoid and found it to be quite hot. I don't have a wiring diagram since I am third owner of this 2007 coach. Does anyone have advice on where to look for the problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2023, 09:25 PM   #2

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention.....I did try to disconnect the house batteries at the batteries and since the solenoid stayed in the chassis batteries were tied to the house system. So that's why I had to disconnect at the control panel.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:28 PM   #3

Replace the solenoid if it’s stuck
Old 05-15-2023, 05:41 AM   #4

Failed Latching Relay

There different relay circuits in RV's.

Some have one to disconnect the house batteries from the chassis batteries and another to disconnect the house 12 volt system from the house batteries.

The situation sounds like the issue is a latching relay used to disconnect the house batteries from the house 12 volt system for storage.

As you pointed out, latching relays should not get hot for long periods. Typically that means it has failed and cannot reach its fully latched position. As others have pointed out, replacement of the relay is usually the only practical solution.

It is possible the rocker switch is not shutting off when you release it, but that is less likely.

There may be a second high capacity relay that connects the chassis battery to the house battery. It may be operated by a "Boost" button and/or ignition "ON"/"OFF".

Boost relays are often "momentary" type. Ignition controlled are often "continuous duty and may stay "ON" for as long as the engine is running.

Some ignition relays are controlled by an electronic device. A BIRD system is common.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:37 PM   #5

I found today that there is an Intellitec printed circuit board behind the solenoids that looks just like a mounting plate but is a board. A friend said that perhaps the solenoid is pulled in because that board thinks the house batteries are too low and it pulls in the solenoid to connect chassis to charge the house. Im a pretty good parts changer but trouble shooting is a bit sketchy....I know enough to be dangerous.
I think I will replace the intellitec switch and the solenoid and just see what happens.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie RVer View Post
I found today that there is an Intellitec printed circuit board behind the solenoids that looks just like a mounting plate but is a board. A friend said that perhaps the solenoid is pulled in because that board thinks the house batteries are too low and it pulls in the solenoid to connect chassis to charge the house. Im a pretty good parts changer but trouble shooting is a bit sketchy....I know enough to be dangerous.
I think I will replace the intellitec switch and the solenoid and just see what happens.
I recommend you replace only the solenoid. They carry high current which tends to destroy internal contacts.

It it unlikely the Intellitec is trying to charge from the chassis battery unless the engine is running. In this case it would be charging from the alternator not chassis battery.

Post model number of Intellitec board.

Always post make and model for better advice.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 07:29 AM   #7
YC1

Posting a few pictures will really help.

If you need to put it in the store mode for a month, then disconnecting both battery banks is needed.

A picture of your battery setup would help. Many RV's have heavy duty switches near the batteries.

See if you can find an owners manual to determine what needs to be done to store.

There are often things like motorized steps that are still online even when that type of switch is off.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, disconnect, electric, electrical, switch