Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #1

RV Trip Wizard
Electrified Keystone Outback 266RB Trailer?

Not sure this is where to post this. While checking out the outside of our trailer I inadvertently touched a metal screw on the entry door of our trailer with my elbow. I felt a slight tingling sensation. I then touched it with my finger and again felt a slight tingling sensation. I tried touching various screws, like the screws on the metal furnace exhaust cover, and the screws on the fender skirt. Again the slight tingling sensation. Some screws tingled stronger than others. Other metal parts did not tingle. Like the door hinges and door frames. Unplugged the home ac current and the tingling from the screws went away.
Should I be concerned? Any thoughts or questions? Please advise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Our Keystone Outback 266RB Trailer.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	287372
HBandWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ooh heck yeah.. You got a wire loose somewhere...........
Is this thing new? I hope sorta so cause I would haul it back to the dealer...
If not, start looking in the fuse / power panel. Your going to possibly end up ripping up a lot of stuff to find this...

If its new, yeah unless your dealer is some whizbang shop I would not expect to see it for weeks if not longer........
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your a slow learner! If you touch something and feel a shock, don't go looking for another one with your finger. It could kill you.

Get a meter to find it, if you don't know how find someone who does. You have what is called "Hot Skin" it can be dangerous.

It may be as simple as a bad power cord. A water heater element, or frig heater.

A little more difficult a screw or staple into a wire.

But find it and fix it. Your bare foot kid might be more sensitive.

Good luck in you trouble shooting.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:32 AM   #4

RV Trip Wizard
RGVTEXAN, Thank you for the advice. Believe me I know it was not the smartest thing to do. In my life time I have been severely shocked twice and I have also experienced mild tingly shocks. Electricity seems to find me.

The first screw I accidentally touched, and then checked for the same result with my finger, is the one I then asked my husband to touch with his finger. He did not feel anything at all and we were both in our bare feet. He got out a meter and everything he touched with it, that I said was tingly, registered extremely low or not at all.

"Hot Skin" as you say is dangerous and possibly the shock could be a lot stronger somewhere else on the trailer. This trailer is almost 2 years old now so no warranty. I'm not sure my husband believes me but I want to have this looked at asap.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #5

Check the OUTLET you are plugged into ----it has lost the 'ground'

If OUTLEt is properly wired then you need to start testing your RV
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:38 PM   #6

A good power cord ground re-directs the current leakage back to earth ground, back at the house, BUT it doesn't fix the problem.

There is still some leakage or crossed wires somewhere.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #7

RV Trip Wizard
Thank you all for the advice!

This must be something new because I put bug screens on all the places where wasps could get in and never felt a tingle. I also go around touching and tightening screws and bolts about every other trip and no tingle till now.

The trailer is back in storage but soon we are definitely going to bring it back home and check the outlets, cords, etc. After which if the same screws tingle we'll find someone qualified to hopefully fix it.

It may be awhile but I will post what we find out.

You all be safe and well.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:48 PM   #8

Bad ground. If your plugged into 120VAC start checking the plug and receptacle.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Bad ground. If your plugged into 120VAC start checking the plug and receptacle.

IF plugged in to an outlet AT HOME...check for loose/bad ground connection on that outlet

If you were plugged into an outlet at a CG....notify that CG of ground issue at the site you were in

And now would be a good time to invest in a Progressive Electronics EMS/Surge Protector
It will 'notify' if there are power issue with outlet.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #10

Most likely a wiring problem with the outlet or cord. Definitely get it checked out before hooking up again.

If the wiring checks out, it could be a result of being so far from your home’s grounding electrode. Soil with poor conductivity or with significant current flowing because of grounding practices of the utility or neighbor’s household wiring can result in significant voltage differences between the ground pin of the cord and the soil under your feet. Your RV is essentially a sub panel in an unattached structure which code says would require an electrode if it wasn’t on wheels.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's call "hot skin". It can kill you. Get it fixed fast.

Read about it here http://noshockzone.org/rv-electrical...iv-–-hot-skin/.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #12

RV Trip Wizard
Update: My husband checked out your suggestions, watched utube videos, read online blogs etc. to learn how to find and fix our "Hot Skin" problem. We are going camping in a few days so we brought the trailer home today. Per what he learned, using a volt meter, my husband checked the garage outlet we had used, the power cord we had used, and the pigtail we had used. Everything checked out. Using the garage outlet and items he just checked, he then hooked up the trailer. Again, using the volt meter, he checked the screws that gave me a tingle before and nothing. I then went around and touched the same screws and no tingle. Sooo we think it was probably water got into one end or the other of the pigtail when he washed the trailer earlier that day as he had left the trailer hooked up to the garage electricity. Which was probably not a good idea right? I feel better about it but still want someone more qualified to check it out and I will make some calls. Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 06-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBandWB View Post
Update: My husband checked out your suggestions, watched utube videos, read online blogs etc. to learn how to find and fix our "Hot Skin" problem. We are going camping in a few days so we brought the trailer home today. Per what he learned, using a volt meter, my husband checked the garage outlet we had used, the power cord we had used, and the pigtail we had used. Everything checked out. Using the garage outlet and items he just checked, he then hooked up the trailer. Again, using the volt meter, he checked the screws that gave me a tingle before and nothing. I then went around and touched the same screws and no tingle. Sooo we think it was probably water got into one end or the other of the pigtail when he washed the trailer earlier that day as he had left the trailer hooked up to the garage electricity. Which was probably not a good idea right? I feel better about it but still want someone more qualified to check it out and I will make some calls. Thanks everyone for your input!
Probably the wet ground under your feet. A wet cord wouldn’t cause this.

How long is the cord you are using?
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:46 PM   #14

RV Trip Wizard
The extension cord is 100 feet and is 12 gauge.

We were standing barefoot on the concrete sidewalk and although it did not look or feel wet (hours after he washed the trailer) I suppose it still retained some moisture?

Tags
keystone, trailer