Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #1

Empty Suitcase Gen Before Travel??

I've read lots online about transporting gasoline safely in a pickup truck. Have an approved, vented, red container. I know how to fill it safely.

What about the 2,000W suitcase generator I just bought? Do I have to empty the gas into the red can each time I travel? What do you do?

That probably won't be too inconvenient, as the Gen is a backup that I don't think I'll use very often (low consumption + Solar panels). OTOH, this is our first summer towing the TT, so I may need/want the Gen more than I think.
Peterk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #2

You haven't mentioned the brand of generator ; but my Honda 2000 has a fuel cap that closes the venting off , so the fuel tank is sealed for transporting the unit.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:40 AM   #3

Honda generators also have fuel shutoff valves on the line to the carburator.
That keeps the carburator from leaking gas, while the float is bouncing down the highway.

Lool to see if yours has a fuel valve on it and a way to close the vent on the cap..
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:22 PM   #4

Its a firmin 2000 W. I'm sure it has a carb shutoff valve, but i haven't taken it or off the box yet because I'm just healing up from some surgery. I thought the idea of a vent in a Jerry can was to allow for expansion under higher temperatures. Is it safe to seal it up?
Old 05-11-2021, 06:08 PM   #5

I think you're over thinking by a country mile. Tie the generator in a corner of the truck bed and drive on.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
I think you're over thinking by a country mile. Tie the generator in a corner of the truck bed and drive on.
LOL, Thanks for that! After I posted, I was speaking to my dw about it and realized there must be about 20 million rv'rs and contractors driving around the USA every day with these in the bed of their truck. I doubt they all empty the gas every time they drive.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:52 PM   #7

I would be more worried about the genny growing legs, make sure you got a big chain and heavy lock. I believe portable generators are stolen more often than bikes !!
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Sweat View Post
I would be more worried about the genny growing legs, make sure you got a big chain and heavy lock. I believe portable generators are stolen more often than bikes !!
Chain & lock are on my shopping list

Tags
travel