Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
ARC

Epsom Salt

Hi All,

I'm new to but excited about RVing. The 2003 F/T 31W coach batteries were dead - 9.5 V - when I bought it some 3 months ago. Both 6V U2200 units were dry. Has anyone tried to resurrect deep cycle batteries with Epsom salt?

Thanks!
ARC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
10 year old batteries --just replace them
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Don't bother wasting your time. Buy new batteries and sleep well at night
Crippsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

You seem to be getting good advice.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
ARC

Will do. Thanks all.

ARC
Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Art & Vicky! Welcome to IRV2! We're glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with the battery question. Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes.. Did not work (Was worth the try though). but at 10 years. Anticipated battery life is UP TO 10 years.. You are already at max life.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARC View Post
Hi All,

I'm new to but excited about RVing. The 2003 F/T 31W coach batteries were dead - 9.5 V - when I bought it some 3 months ago. Both 6V U2200 units were dry. Has anyone tried to resurrect deep cycle batteries with Epsom salt?

Thanks!
IMHO,
remove the batteries, (Very important, take a few good photos before you disconnect for reference on the instal) clean the battery tray using a Baking Soda/Water solution. If there are areas that have corroded or rusted over the years, sand and paint.
Now, clean all cable ends by dipping them in Baking Soda/Water solution and use a wire brush to shine em up. If they are all in good condition, bonus. If there are any that show wear from corrosion, replace as required.
OK, now you are ready to install your New Deep Cycle 6 Volt Batteries. Take a close look at the photos you took earlier and go for it. Always connect the Positive Cable first and then the Negatives. That way you reduce the risk of a short from the Wrench to Ground. Safety First.

While installing the connections, smear some Dielectric Grease on before you install each one. This prevents corrosion from forming. Dielectric Grease can be purchased from the same place you get the batteries.

Now, here is the trick to do so you don't have to go through this but once every Ten Years. Although by this time you are totally enamoured with the whole procedure Right?
After the Electrolyte level drops due to the normal charging cycle, (this could take a month or more depending on the charge rate from your Converter which by the way, should be No More than 13.7 Volts) instead of topping off with the usual Distilled Water, add 4 Oz, of Mineral Oil to each cell and top off with Distilled Water to the proper level if required. Do Not! draw off Electrolyte to make room for the oil! This needs to occur on its own so you do not upset the Chemical Ratio of the Electrolyte which will alter the life of your batteries.

Mineral Oil can be had in the Pharmacy at Wallyworld or most any Drug Store.
By adding the Mineral Oil, you are preventing the Hydrogen Sulfide from escaping (known as Gassing Off) during the normal charge cycle and thus preventing corrosion to form around the cable connections keeping the battery area clean. You also won't need to add water on a regular basis allowing for more Happy Hour Time.

Hope this helps. A set of batteries will cost you about $400 and if you install them properly, you will not have to worry about doing again for the next Ten Years.

Happy Trails and enjoy RVing.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
ARC

Dennis,

Thanks a ton for the step-by-step advice. The mineral oil, let me research a little bit before I implement the idea; I'll have some time before the solution needs to be topped off.

Have you considered swapping the converter for a 3-stage charger in order to avoid over- and/or under-charging? I've read that also optimizes battery life.

Art
Old 01-08-2014, 02:51 AM   #10

I remember living up in the North where a battery lasted for 10 years. Here in South Florida it was a shock to be told I should be happy to get over 2 years from a battery. A batter here will go dry just sitting there even when it not on a charger or being used.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #12

When I was a kid, epson salt was the cure-all. If you hurt inside, drink it. If you hurt outside, soak in it.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
When I was a kid, epson salt was the cure-all. If you hurt inside, drink it. If you hurt outside, soak in it.
+1. Right up there with Caster Oil and moth balls.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
+1. Right up there with Caster Oil and moth balls.

Don't forget the other over the counter curr-all for children, Paragoric for upset stomachs, headache, colds, bodyaches, sleeplessness, coughs, etc. Also know as Tincture of Opium. I imagine what Family Services and Child Welfare of today would have done to parents back in first half of the 20th Century.