Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 07:42 AM   #1

EverChill Fridge

I have a everchill model wd-282fwdc fridge in our new camper, it is a 12 volt electric only. It seems to be a really nice unit with plenty of room but I have no experience with a 12 volt fridge. Just looking for feedback from any with experience with them. also it has the flat smooth shelves so curious tricks you use to keep stuff from falling over during travel. Thanks
Batjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 09:22 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LOL stuff always wants to fall out onto your foot! Usually the door keeps it from reaching the tipping point.

Run it for 24 hours on the coldest setting and use an RF thermometer to check the temps. If the freezer gets under 10f and the fridge under 40 you are doing as well as most of these can do. Use it and don't worry. You hear about the ones that break but 90% of them work forever without a hitch. Don't over-stuff, don't put food in it until is cooled down. Try to open it as few times as possible because recovery isn't as fast as your home fridge.

Is this a new RV or a used one?
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Everchill refrigerator

I have the same model in my 2020 Riverside Retro trailer. As long as you camp with 120vac you are ok. If you dry camp, you will need lots of batteries, generator, or solar. Otherwise you will run out of battery quickly.
The refrigerator comes up to temp in an hour, no running it overnite like the propane/120vac refers. It also has a lot of room for food.
It takes 11 amps dc to bring it up tp temp. Then 3-4 amps to maintain temp.
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
LOL stuff always wants to fall out onto your foot! Usually the door keeps it from reaching the tipping point.

Run it for 24 hours on the coldest setting and use an RF thermometer to check the temps. If the freezer gets under 10f and the fridge under 40 you are doing as well as most of these can do. Use it and don't worry. You hear about the ones that break but 90% of them work forever without a hitch. Don't over-stuff, don't put food in it until is cooled down. Try to open it as few times as possible because recovery isn't as fast as your home fridge.

Is this a new RV or a used one?
It is new, 2020 model. Thanks for the feedback
Old 11-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I have the same model in my 2020 Riverside Retro trailer. As long as you camp with 120vac you are ok. If you dry camp, you will need lots of batteries, generator, or solar. Otherwise you will run out of battery quickly.
The refrigerator comes up to temp in an hour, no running it overnite like the propane/120vac refers. It also has a lot of room for food.
It takes 11 amps dc to bring it up tp temp. Then 3-4 amps to maintain temp.
Thanks, was hoping someone with one would have some input.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batjac View Post
I have a everchill model wd-282fwdc fridge in our new camper, it is a 12 volt electric only. It seems to be a really nice unit with plenty of room but I have no experience with a 12 volt fridge. Just looking for feedback from any with experience with them. also it has the flat smooth shelves so curious tricks you use to keep stuff from falling over during travel. Thanks
I just purchased a 2021 Forest River Vibe with and Evercill Refrig (this is a residential style refrig with a 12vdc compressor rather than a typical home style with 120vac compressor. It is not an absorption style.)

I will pick up our Vibe on Friday, so do not have any first hand experience yet, but will share an important thing I did learn. The Everchill has a small 'T' level that swings across the slot between the Refrig and Freezer doors to keep the doors closed during travel. I have read of at least one person who had their T lever move during travel, allowed the doors to open. He had a real mess inside his coach when he arrived at his destination. So you may want to do something to prevent that door lock from possibly moving during Travel. Once I get mine home I will let you know what I came up with as a 'safety'. Perhaps an elastic band around the T part and lightly holding it towards the door hinge side.

The other thing is it seems to not have an on/off switch. The only way to shut it off (it was suggested by other owners) was main battery shut off (for coaches with one) or find and remove the 12v fuse. Some suggest that perhaps just turning the temperature down to the lowest setting would actually shut it off. It may shut down the compressor (main current draw of battery), but when I tried that the inside refrig light remained lit so I would say that isn't a true off. Now I only lowered the setting in the refrig and not the one in the Freezer.

Again, sorry that my current knowledge on the Everchill is very limited since I don't have my new coach home yet to play with. So I will follow along here as others offer their experiences with the Everchil 12v Residential Refrig.
rgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrimm View Post
I just purchased a 2021 Forest River Vibe with and Evercill Refrig (this is a residential style refrig with a 12vdc compressor rather than a typical home style with 120vac compressor. It is not an absorption style.)

I will pick up our Vibe on Friday, so do not have any first hand experience yet, but will share an important thing I did learn. The Everchill has a small 'T' level that swings across the slot between the Refrig and Freezer doors to keep the doors closed during travel. I have read of at least one person who had their T lever move during travel, allowed the doors to open. He had a real mess inside his coach when he arrived at his destination. So you may want to do something to prevent that door lock from possibly moving during Travel. Once I get mine home I will let you know what I came up with as a 'safety'. Perhaps an elastic band around the T part and lightly holding it towards the door hinge side.

The other thing is it seems to not have an on/off switch. The only way to shut it off (it was suggested by other owners) was main battery shut off (for coaches with one) or find and remove the 12v fuse. Some suggest that perhaps just turning the temperature down to the lowest setting would actually shut it off. It may shut down the compressor (main current draw of battery), but when I tried that the inside refrig light remained lit so I would say that isn't a true off. Now I only lowered the setting in the refrig and not the one in the Freezer.

Again, sorry that my current knowledge on the Everchill is very limited since I don't have my new coach home yet to play with. So I will follow along here as others offer their experiences with the Everchil 12v Residential Refrig.

I am very glad you posted this, I am pulling out this morning and have thought before that if that lever moved and the door came open it would be a mess so thanks for the mental reminder. As far as the fridge mine has worked great so far, chills better and faster than our traditional fridge in the last unit. Wife has gotten used to leaving stuff in it while it is parked under the carport here at home so not sure if it is better to let it run all the time or shut it off. Time will tell but if this one ever quits I would get the same thing.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batjac View Post
I am very glad you posted this, I am pulling out this morning and have thought before that if that lever moved and the door came open it would be a mess so thanks for the mental reminder. As far as the fridge mine has worked great so far, chills better and faster than our traditional fridge in the last unit. Wife has gotten used to leaving stuff in it while it is parked under the carport here at home so not sure if it is better to let it run all the time or shut it off. Time will tell but if this one ever quits I would get the same thing.
I did a DYI on my previous coach (2006 Winnebago Journey Diesel Pusher) replacing the Norcold absorption type refrig to a residential (Whirlpool) and it was the best DYI I had done. We do not boondock. So when we decided to downsize I was hoping I could find a TT with a residential refrig and was pleased to see these new RV residential style refrigs with the 12vdc compressors being used in even smaller TTs. It is why we went with the Forest River Vibe.
Our coach will be stored at home when we're not traveling. As my previous coaches, it will be plugged into 50amp service and I have always run the AC (set at 78 degrees) when home and leave the refrig running.

Have a safe trip!

-Russ
rgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #9

Hi all,
I have the Magic Chef branded 12v only fridge in my 2020 forister I just got. Testing in the driveway with just the two group 27’s that came with the unit I can unplug from shore power and walk away from the camper for about 18hrs by that time batteries are at 50% level. So going overnight I doubt is an issue. I will try it with 200w solar panels and see if will charge the batteries up during day enough.

Brian
papagyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagyo View Post
Hi all,
I have the Magic Chef branded 12v only fridge in my 2020 forister I just got. Testing in the driveway with just the two group 27’s that came with the unit I can unplug from shore power and walk away from the camper for about 18hrs by that time batteries are at 50% level. So going overnight I doubt is an issue. I will try it with 200w solar panels and see if will charge the batteries up during day enough.

Brian
I am looking at a new Forester 2351 with a 12v only fridge. It will have two group 27 batteries, 100 w solar panel. How did you make out with 200 watt panels?
Rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #11

Rusbet,

The solar panels worked fine to keep the batteries charged while Boondocking but I decided to swap out the 2 group 27’s with 1 200Ah lithium iron battery. More useable Ah as I can discharge all the way down to 20% and the gen will fully charge them back in about 2hrs or less using solar and gen and I saved about 40lbs on battery weight. That helps in an MBS with low ccc.

Brian
Old 09-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by papagyo View Post
Rusbet,

The solar panels worked fine to keep the batteries charged while Boondocking but I decided to swap out the 2 group 27’s with 1 200Ah lithium iron battery. More useable Ah as I can discharge all the way down to 20% and the gen will fully charge them back in about 2hrs or less using solar and gen and I saved about 40lbs on battery weight. That helps in an MBS with low ccc.

Brian
Thank you. I was hoping to get to a point where there was no more than 2 hr of generator usage daily to recharge the batteries. Before you got the lithium battery, how long did you have to run the generator (with your 200 watt solar setup). Am I reading it correctly that you have one lithium battery now?

On another note, was there much tightening of screws and minor fixups required after picking up your 2020?
Rusbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #13

Rusbet,

Much longer to get to full charge if it was a bit cloudy.... well over 2hrs if discharged to 50% (lead acid). My 2020 knock on wood has had no issues I could not fix myself, mostly just fit and finish issues no big deals.

Brian
Old 05-07-2021, 03:07 PM   #14

EverChill fell out of wall

Thanks for all the notes on the Everchill. We just purchased a 2021 Vibe 25 RK, drove it home, parked it, and the fridge had disconnected at the top mount and basically tipped out of the wall (leaning against the slide-out in the closed position). Problem was a design flaw in which the top board of the frame was exactly 4" wide and the bottom of the screw holes in the attachment bracket of the fridge were at 4", so, the screws didn't bite into the MDF board! To top it off, after I reattached the unit, it didn't cool!!!! We went out last weekend, with a cooler, and dropped it off on our way back. It's been in the shop since Sunday and still hasn't been diagnosed. The LED light does come on. The tech line said it is either the Circuit Board, A bad Thermostat, or a fuse on the circuitboard. Not the inaugural trip we wanted!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4%22 wide board IMG_8039.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	327526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket hole IMG_8032.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	327527  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Edge IMG_8043.JPG