Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #1

Everything running off chassis batteries

My Coach is an 05 Dynaquest 320 built on a Frieghtliner M-2 truck chassis. It has two group 31 chassis batteries and 3 group 31 deep cycle coach batteries. Both sets of batteries have several sets of positive and negative leads coming off of them.

After running the house heater for a couple of nights while dry camping I noticed the chassis batteries were down to where they would barely turn over the engine but the coach batteries where still well charged.

It seems that the chassis batteries are running the house electric. All I could verify that the coach batteries run is the 1000 W inverter and the electric step.

I really don't think this is right, what to check first?
Dyno Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boy, this does sound strange. The house heater you refer to is a 12volt unit? That doesn't sound right and if the inverter is run by your coach batteries and not the chassis batteries it's hard to see how a 120v draw could have drained you chassis batteries.

Could it be that your chassis batteries are on their way out and maybe putting out the slides and leveling the coach drained them to the point of them not being able to start the coach? Ask me how I know if that is possible.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The fans on a regular RV gas furnace will draw down a battery bank rather quickly. I suspect that is what he was referring to.

The most likely explanation is that somebody connected the wrong set of cables to the chassis battery and those cables belong on the house set instead. Figuring out whch ones to move will be the challenge.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Yes it looks like the batteries are wired wrong.

The chassis batteries have four positive leads connected and the house batteries have three. Any good ideas on how to trace them?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
No really good way. What I'd suggest is eliminate as many as you can first (like the battery interconnect wires) by tracing visually where they go.

Then disconnect the others one by one and see what stops working. i.e. if house lights stop you've found the house 12V feed, if chassis lights stop you've found the one going to the chassis-related stuff, same for jacks working and generator starting, etc. Just make sure to insulate the ones you disconnect so you don't have any problems.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #6

Fixed!, Cables had been swapped between the two battery banks, swapped them around and it looks like everything is working properly. Thanks again for all the replies.