Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2021, 04:29 PM   #1

Explosion in residential fridge

So I am sitting in the MH on a very windy day (45 mph) after getting a covid booster.

There was a very loud crash and the sound of breaking glass. Scared me.

Jumped up hoping i would only have to replace a vent and not have to fix a hole in the roof. nothing

Outside there was nothing so i went up on the roof, nothing.

did i fall asleep and have a dream?

it was miller time. beer bottles were scattered and knocked over on the top shelve.

A can of seltzer water on back had frozen and launched the lid.

Not a problem I ever had with the Norcold.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We used to put beer cans in the door of our vertical freezer in our garage. One day the wife turned the thermostat down and they all froze everywhere. Alcohol abuse!
Old 10-26-2021, 05:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Right - the Norcold wouldn’t freeze much of anything, Were the Millers damaged?
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
..... Were the Millers damaged?
Maybe bruised!

I like MGD in the bottle unless cans are better idea such the beer fridge on the dock of my drinking club with a boating problem.
with
It was also hard to find during covid and cheaper in NV than CA, OR, WA. So when head in north the fridge was packed. Coming out of what is called a 'rest stop' on NV highways I caught pot hole and there a crash.

I bottle of MGD rolled up to the front and I realized I had not secured the fridge door. I whole case of beer hit the tile floor and not a broken bottle.

Normally beer is not on the top shelf nut in the card board case or the beer crisper.

Now that I think about when I got my covid booster I checked out the walk in beer cooler. A favorite with family from CA. So earlier I had loaded and rearranged beer. This may have led to the fridge running longer.

Who says Las Vegas is not exciting.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
So I am sitting in the MH on a very windy day (45 mph) after getting a covid booster.

There was a very loud crash and the sound of breaking glass. Scared me.

Jumped up hoping i would only have to replace a vent and not have to fix a hole in the roof. nothing

Outside there was nothing so i went up on the roof, nothing.

did i fall asleep and have a dream?

it was miller time. beer bottles were scattered and knocked over on the top shelve.

A can of seltzer water on back had frozen and launched the lid.

Not a problem I ever had with the Norcold.
The Covid shot caused it!!
Old 10-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldkarphart View Post
The Covid shot caused it!!
This is the kind of logic the EPA used to force DEF on DP because we pump PM 2.5 into nursing homes.

There was a real safety issue. I went up on the roof of the MH when it was windy. With rain predicted, even a small hole could result in black mold.

At my age, a fall could lead to a slow painful process of wasting away.

When I worked at nuke plants I was trained to find the root cause of a problem. In this case, it was an accident based on assumed risk. I knew the risk and I took it.

The EPA would look at air quality on the date of my death. So when you read air pollution is killing people, it is not because they measured carbon monoxide levels in your nursing home room.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:55 PM   #7

So do you think the cause of your refrigerator getting too cold was the wind creating a much stronger than normal updraft behind the fridge? I've always carried canned beer. Never wanted to risk carrying bottles around. Who would want to wreck a vacation by having all your beer crash out and break on the floor?
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #8

I am a contractor and many years ago we did a lot of insurance work. Refrigerators and xmas lights were always a good source of revenue, more problems with them than all other appliances put together!
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
So do you think the cause of your refrigerator getting too cold was the wind creating a much stronger than normal updraft behind the fridge? I've always carried canned beer. Never wanted to risk carrying bottles around. Who would want to wreck a vacation by having all your beer crash out and break on the floor?
I have sealed the vents for the Norcold with duct tape. Added a quick disconnect on the propane line for a portable grill. The new fridge has not see cold weather yet and I plan to keep it that way.

I do have spare beer beside the bed and wine in the closet. The rum got hit hard around the campfire by some old salts.

Lee Discount Booze store will be visited before heading north in the spring.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
I am a contractor and many years ago we did a lot of insurance work. Refrigerators and xmas lights were always a good source of revenue, more problems with them than all other appliances put together!
I am concerned about the residential fridge. The EPA like flammable refrigerant because of concerns with the climate changing over the next million years.

I am concerned the EPA will get me killed.

Tags
fridge