Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #1

Extend-a-stay not an option

There have been a few posts recently about how best to connect an auxiliary propane source to their RVs and an Extend-a-stay type setup is often suggested. I want it too, but can't have it.

My propane tank has an electric shut-off valve connected to the regulator with a 1" piece of flaired copper tubing (w/ nuts of course). No POL type fittings to insert the Extend-a-stay. I've thought about a number of ways to insert a "T" between the valve and regulator, but I see too many potential issues. Additionally, my tank is mounted between the frame rails and I'll need 8 to 10 feet of propane hose to bring the line to a convenient place to connect the auxiliary bottle.

If I understand a post in another thread, you can hook the auxiliary bottle to the low pressure side of the regulator instead of the high as Extend-a-stay does. It means another regulator, but this looks a simpler solution for me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi SSteve,
What you are thinking about will work (with the second regulator). My concern would be how to close off the auxiliary tank end when one needs to travel. With the line end between the rails, one is not going to continue to repeatedly make and remove the connection there.

If you are unsure about any connection, find a local propane parts supplier. If it is possible and legal, they have all kinds of connectors and adapters.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #3

I just did this for a friend...We installed a shutoff valve on the aux line when not needed....
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #4

We installed an extend-a-stay type set up (we made ours) with gas quick-connections. We installed a shut off valve on our setup. Just makes us feel a little safer.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #5

Gary,

I thought about that too. I found a nice little gas valve at Lowe's that should work nicely.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We were parked as Workampers with an auxiliary propane tank as an option. We ran a hose from the aux tank to our line going into the RV. We bypassed the regulator since the aux tank had one. We used a shutoff valve in the hose as well. Took an adapter fitting and about 5 minutes to hook/unhook.... well worth it for free propane!!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #7

What would be the problem with connecting a line from the valve on an external tank to the existing fill connection on the motor home providing you could get the correct connections?
Scooter Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
This is what I did. I had two on the last motorhome (02 Diplomat), but the firepit was a contengcy for the sale, so I now have one for the gas grill. Quick disconnect with a backup gate valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09058.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	7697  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #9

I hooked up my 150 gallon external tank just like Downsizer did. One connection bypassing the onboard regulator and it is done.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
We were parked as Workampers with an auxiliary propane tank as an option. We ran a hose from the aux tank to our line going into the RV. We bypassed the regulator since the aux tank had one. We used a shutoff valve in the hose as well. Took an adapter fitting and about 5 minutes to hook/unhook.... well worth it for free propane!!!!

that is very similar to our set up at home port

100 gallon big tank with its own regulator
and I installed a "T" in the main rv lp line and a shut off valve.
i used a hard sided rubber hose (marine service)from the big tank to the fitting i installed at the back of the rv. its is a flared fitting so a wrench is in order to remove it.
then a safety cap goes over the exposed flare while on the road
works like a champ

we own the big tank, so out of pocket was about 200 a few years ago.
i leave the rv tank valve closed
but it doesn't matter if is open, as the pressure is not greater than the rv regulator.

my gas company was great at setting the regulator to the rv pressure and they even free check it every time i get the big tank filled

for us it is a huge convenience at home and no delivery charges as we usually get 70 gallons or more when they come out.
i also added a bbq quick connect for the rvqII when i had the pipes arpart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	large lp2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	7699   Click image for larger version

Name:	large lp3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	7700  

Name:	large lp4.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	7701   Click image for larger version

Name:	large lp6.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	7702  

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #11

The holidays distracted me from keeping ya'll up-to-date with my solution, such that it is. Sorry. Thanks to Scooter Ride for reviving the thread.

After thinking things through, I decided to make my connection on the High side (between tank and regulator). It eliminated some complexity (another regulator) and made me buy high pressure hose instead of low pressure (I can use the high on the low side if I decide to go there, but not the reverse.

I looped a 2' piece of 3/8" copper, flared the ends and used it to insert a "T" between the tank and regulator. The copper is a temporary solution. If it woks out, I'll replace it with a flexible line. In the mean time, it is sheathed with two layers of that black plastic "snakeskin" stuff commonly used to contain wiring. I attached a 12' flex line from the "T" to the area where I want to hook the aux tank and installed a shut-off valve then an ACME nut, to the hose.

All seems well after fixing 2 leaks. But I'm still not comfortable.

Scooter Ride, when I began I did consider what you suggested. As I understand things, the "Fill" port on my tank is for liquid propane and the "Outlet" port is for gaseous. A 20# bottle has the valve that serves both purposes. While I think it would work, again, as I saw things, the best I could hope for was for the 20# bottle to deplete at the same rate as the MH tank since mainly gaseous propane would be introduced to the system. This really makes the 20# part of the MH tank. I'm looking to use the 20# instead of the tank. Make no mistake, I could be completely wrong here, but it seemed to make sense at the time.

38 Special, I would LOVE to have done what you did. Alas, my tank is between the chassis rails and access is the problem. Everything has to be done with remote control in mind. My skinny neck doesn't like gravity working on my fat head in anything other than the standing position, so my goal is to stay out from underneath the MH as much as I can.

As always, the upside of any quest is learning a few things. But, they're not always helpful things.

What I have done so far is not terribly elegant, but it does work. I'm still considering moving everything to the low pressure side and buy another regulator. Still trying to understand the virtues of a two stage regulator over a single, so if anyone can make me smarter on this or anything else, PLEASE DO.

As always, apologies for the length of the post.

Thanks to all,
Steve
Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
I'm still considering moving everything to the low pressure side and buy another regulator.
Why would you need a second regulator. Your existing one should be set to 11" water column (or close). Adding a second one in line should not be needed. Am I missing something?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #13

38 Special,

I appreciate your question. Here's my thinking.

As things are, the external propane source connection is on the high side (between the tank and the existing regulator), hence I'm feeding the external propane source through the existing regulator.

If I decide to undo what I have done and connect the external propane source to the low side of the existing regulator, I'll need another regulator to govern the flow to the low side of the system since I'm in effect, bypassing the existing regulator.

Steve
Old 01-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
38 Special,

I appreciate your question. Here's my thinking.

As things are, the external propane source connection is on the high side (between the tank and the existing regulator), hence I'm feeding the external propane source through the existing regulator.

If I decide to undo what I have done and connect the external propane source to the low side of the existing regulator, I'll need another regulator to govern the flow to the low side of the system since I'm in effect, bypassing the existing regulator.

Steve
Thanks for the clarification.