Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2017, 04:59 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
,,, So, no one sees any other issues with them feeding the 125gallon external tank to the FILL valve of the built-in RV Tank (other than emptying the built-in tank first), correct?,,,
I don't see a problem with supplying gas thru the fill valve other than the down check of having to refill the installed tank for next use. It's a clean simple solution with the supplier providing a turnkey configuration that requires no changes to the rig as built.

Personally I would mod the system and tee the line as others have suggested and I have done to my coach. Keep the installed tank full for either the next outing or if the rig becomes a life boat and you somehow exhaust the 100 pound tank you'll have the installed tank as a backup. You'll also have the bonus of being able to use the inline fitting to run propane accessories at a campsite or heat the rig off smaller bottles if necessary. Anything I can bolt on the rig that does more than one task is a good thing.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #30

By using the gas fill/supply solution, the system can be used on another MH without any alterations. Pros and cons.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
TRUE !
That is why you shut the coach tank off, so only the 125 tank is supplying vapor to the coach system.
I should have clarified that I was talking about using the MH tank fill port which has all the propane vapor passing through the MH tank, it can't be shut off. I still say both tanks would drain equally, example: both tanks would be 1/2 full at same time.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #32

Personally I would mod the system and tee the line as others have suggested and I have done to my coach. Keep the installed tank full for either the next outing or if the rig becomes a life boat and you somehow exhaust the 100 pound tank you'll have the installed tank as a backup. You'll also have the bonus of being able to use the inline fitting to run propane accessories at a campsite or heat the rig off smaller bottles if necessary. Anything I can bolt on the rig that does more than one task is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

This is where it gets tricky. You and other's have to know if the propane connection is high pressure or low pressure. A low pressure connected to a grill with a built in regulator will not work properly resulting in little or no flame. A high pressure connection (20 lb tank) made to a low pressure line, lets just say I would not want to be around when you light the stove!!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I . I still say both tanks would drain equally, example: both tanks would be 1/2 full at same time.
The propane expert who suggested this setup told the OP that the MH tank would drain first. Here is why.

When the line is first connected, both tanks are going to equalise and have about the same pressure.

As you draw off the MH tank, the liquid, in it, is going to vaporize, maintaining the same pressure, until the liquid is used up. ( If you ever had a pressure gauge on a propane tank, you would see steady pressure until it was near empty )

Once the liquid is gone in the MH tank, the pressure will drop and the vaporized gas from the outside tank is going to continue to move thru the line and keep the pressures even.

If the outside tank was in the sun, the pressure would rise and compress the vapor back to liquid, in the cooler MH tank, but at night it would just equalize again.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:30 PM   #34

twinboat is correct. The gentleman from ACME explained it to me like that. Once the pressure drops in the built-in tank, vapor would exit the external tank through the hose into the fill valve of the built-in tank and into the RV system.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
The Camco "four-way" tee is about 6 inches long.

The tee that "saddlesore" shows appears to be around 4 inches long.
I think 6 inches would be a problem for me. Maybe 4" would work.

The 'T' is still something I can add in the future.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 11-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
I'd install a four-way tee. That way you can keep the tank valve shut, with a full tank of propane, and use whatever size of "portable" cylinder you want to supply the coach. Depending on if/how much the coach's regulator has to move, it can take less than a half-hour to install.

Marshall Gas sells the authentic "Extend-a-Stay" tee and a "Stay-Longer," although I don't know the difference. Sturgi sells the "Sturgi-Stay."
I think I'm seeing the same picture for both your Marshal Gas Links above, they both show a 4-way. Which model actually has the 4-way? confused what the difference is

Old 11-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #37

Somebody is making this WAY too complicated. We were in Alaska for 4 months and in Valdez heat is used a great part of the summer. The local LP supplier supplied large tanks and flex hose about 25' long to a number of RV's in the park. The tank had a valve but no regulator. To connect to your RV they turned off the on-board tank, unscrewed the RV regulator spud from the tank and hooked the hose to the RV regulator. Whole effort took about 30 minutes to set up, and you kept the propane in the RV tank, only paying for the LP they put in the tank they furnished.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The propane expert who suggested this setup told the OP that the MH tank would drain first. Here is why.

When the line is first connected, both tanks are going to equalise and have about the same pressure.

As you draw off the MH tank, the liquid, in it, is going to vaporize, maintaining the same pressure, until the liquid is used up. ( If you ever had a pressure gauge on a propane tank, you would see steady pressure until it was near empty )

Once the liquid is gone in the MH tank, the pressure will drop and the vaporized gas from the outside tank is going to continue to move thru the line and keep the pressures even.

If the outside tank was in the sun, the pressure would rise and compress the vapor back to liquid, in the cooler MH tank, but at night it would just equalize again.

The way it works is the gas pressure will equalize between the 2 tanks before the first tank has a chance to boil off. Then both tanks will boil off together at the same rate. If 2 tanks are hooked together as 1 system they will both go down together. I filled many residential tanks hooked together and you have to fill both, otherwise it would be easy to just have to fill only one tank. It's an easy experiment to do, just open both propane valves on your MH/trailer w/o a auto switch over valve and they will both get to 1/2 tank together.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
Check extend a stay you can add after your RV shut off valve use from the 125 First your RV tank will still be full.

What the heck does this mean?
SmootZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:11 PM   #40

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootZero View Post
What the heck does this mean?
check the Pic
Note ! the "T" you see down stream of the grill/stay a while fitting, that was used instead of an elbow, the bottom leg just has a plug screwed in to it.(If needed I could put a large volume quick disconnect there hooked to a large supply tank)
But since this coach has diesel fired AquaHot, I have no need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2553.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	181802  
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #41

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Somebody is making this WAY too complicated. We were in Alaska for 4 months and in Valdez heat is used a great part of the summer. The local LP supplier supplied large tanks and flex hose about 25' long to a number of RV's in the park. The tank had a valve but no regulator. To connect to your RV they turned off the on-board tank, unscrewed the RV regulator spud from the tank and hooked the hose to the RV regulator. Whole effort took about 30 minutes to set up, and you kept the propane in the RV tank, only paying for the LP they put in the tank they furnished.
Yup,, The reason I did a 2 stage (mid pressure regulator @ the 125 gal tank and used a "T" with an inline quick disconnect @ the house regulator on the coach) was due to local regs)
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

The way it works is the gas pressure will equalize between the 2 tanks before the first tank has a chance to boil off. Then both tanks will boil off together at the same rate. If 2 tanks are hooked together as 1 system they will both go down together. I filled many residential tanks hooked together and you have to fill both, otherwise it would be easy to just have to fill only one tank. It's an easy experiment to do, just open both propane valves on your MH/trailer w/o a auto switch over valve and they will both get to 1/2 tank together.
In your senerio, there are 2 equal size tanks, both drawing together. They will boil down evenly.

In the OPs senerio, the gas is being drawn off a 16 gallon tank and then being fed, thru a long hose, by a 125 gallon one.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank