Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #1

Question External 50 Amp Receptacle question

I am going to have an electrician install a 50 amp external power plug next to my garage so I can plug in an RV. My question is what info do I need to give the electrican about the install? Is it one leg of 120 V AC 50 AMPS? Is it two legs of 120V 50 AMPS? I know NOTHING about electricity. Is there a special name for the type of plug that an RV uses? Any information would be GREATLY appreciated by this newbie.
Da-Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Show your electrician the 50 amp section on this website. It explains everything.

RV Electric

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Show your electrician the 50 amp section on this website. It explains everything.

RV Electric
X2 on above, Mine is 240volt with neutral and ground and RV receptacle
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just tell the electrician you wish to install a 50 amp RV outlet and he will do it right.. They do not often mess up 50 amps

The circuit is 120/240 volts just like a range, 4 wire arranged like this

L-1 -120v- Neutral -120v- L2

L-1 -240v- L2

Both legs are 50 amp

I always suggest if you hire an electrican to install put in 50 ams
Two reasons

First and foremost: The odds of him screwing it up approach zero
(The odds of him screwing up a 30 amp install are far, far, higher)

Second (least important) you may some day upgrade your RV (in your case this does NOT apply,,,,already upgraded).

Polietly suggest to him he go oversize one size on the wire though.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #5

How much should this cost? Thinking of doing the same thing.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cost varies big time depending on where you are so no way to predict.

If you have sufficent power to the garage you are looking at one hour (minimum billing) labor

if you have to run it underground from the house, this involves digging ditches, cutting conduit and things like that.. Much more

The ditch digging you may be able to do yourself in advance cutting it to max 2 hours labor to run the wires and hook 'em up.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

RV Electric
This link is a great resource. Unfortunately it doesn't cover the part I have a problem with; I have 200 amp service to the house and my breaker boxes are full, so there's no place to put that 50-amp double pole breaker.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
This link is a great resource. Unfortunately it doesn't cover the part I have a problem with; I have 200 amp service to the house and my breaker boxes are full, so there's no place to put that 50-amp double pole breaker.

It may be possible to come out of the meter base with a supply for a sub panel big enough for a 50 amp box.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I did my own ... Plenty of info online , but if you don't do electrical hire someone i would think cost could run from 200.00 - 400.00 .... my cost for materiel with new plugin rv box 50 amp breaker and wire was under a 100.00 ... good luck
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
But that problem isn't specific to adding an RV outlet. You can't add any new loads without addressing the issue. Your choices are to add a new sub-panel, or replace your existing panel with a larger one. It's generally easier to add a sub-panel, and move a couple of the existing loads to the new panel to make room in the main panel for the feed. But your local codes might require a new panel. The other thing to consider is if your 200amp service is sufficient for all those loads that filled up the panel. You might need to upgrade it as well.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #11

I had a unused dryer circuit that I removed from the panel to free up space, however, I just put a 30 amp service in, didn't see any need for 50 amp service as I just use 1 air and the refrigerator.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Unless all breakers are already "twins", you may be able to find space. If not, it shouldn't be difficult to add a sub panel near the main.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:16 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
You may have to up size your service and circuit beaker panel, the last one I did was about $2400, and that was a good price. A good electrician will do a load calculation on your house with the added 50 amp RV plug and advise you if you need a bigger panel or not.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:04 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Log View Post
I am going to have an electrician install a 50 amp external power plug next to my garage so I can plug in an RV. My question is what info do I need to give the electrican about the install? Is it one leg of 120 V AC 50 AMPS? Is it two legs of 120V 50 AMPS? I know NOTHING about electricity. Is there a special name for the type of plug that an RV uses? Any information would be GREATLY appreciated by this newbie.
First,do you need 50 amps? I'm plugged in on 20 amps and it works out fine for my needs.

damdannyboy