Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2014, 11:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestogoB4 View Post
Thanks Neil
I feel better!
I have a '94 Winnebago Vectra
Not sure if it has a cold weather package
Which Vectra? There were a number of variations from Diesel to a few Chevy and Ford based models.

I had the Vectra 33RQ and the only insulation on the floor of the basement was a thin grey outdoor carpet.

Don't hot dog it unless you have really had the engine, transmission and brakes gone completely through. Thats a 20 year old coach so most of the rubber hoses collant, fuel and brake need to be checked out thoroughly.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #16

I have the Ford 460 and the 34RA floorplan. I know it is old so I am doing the best I can.
milestogoB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #17

Update:
A call that hospice has been called in for my mother in law
I will be leaving at first opportunity, with or without repairs
Looks like Sunday or Monday
I am sorry to stray so much from topic, but that is the way life has been happening lately
Old 01-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #18

I see no need to apologize from getting off topic, it's more flowing.

You taking the RV there or not?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #19

Yup, it is my only vehicle
Old 01-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #20

Well just make sure everything starts up a couple days before you leave out.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #21

Fingers crossed
I have enlisted diagnostic help for Sunday
Will post progress reports
Old 01-02-2014, 07:34 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if it has slides i would bring them in to reduce the area that needs to be heated
plus it will kill the wind blowing the sides of the slides

we did that a few times last year when we got trapped at home base, made a world of difference

unplugged the water hose every afternoon and rode it out
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 PM   #23

No slides but I see your point and hopefully this thread will help others in future
Old 01-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #24

I really liked mine. Simplicity with no slides to breakdown. Just take it easy driving it especially if it has been sitting for a while. I lost mine to a fire that was thought to have been from a dragging brake caliper which I had paid a mechanic to service but likey he did not. Take it slow and easy watching for signs of overheating and such. Before you start out work the brakes a few times going foward a few feet stopping and backing up a few times to loosed up any rust and such in the brake system that might cause binding and overheating. Those were not sports cars and trying to blast down the expressway at 65/70 mph especially if it has not been regularly serviced could be asking for trouble so keep it below 60 and don't push it on the hills.

I am going on the thought that the coach has not had a recent lube job and regular maintenance so at least check the fluids, engine oil, coolant, brakes, transmission, power steering and stop to have the univeral joints/carrier bearings on the drive shaft greased and rear axle fluid level checked if that has not been done already. If you have someone handy available who owns a grease gun they might be able to assist you with much of this.

A stop at Walmart to pick up some Ford transmission fluid, extra engine oil, coolant and brake fluid would not be a bad idea either so you won't have to go on a quest for it when you really need it.

Tires really need to be checked and inflated per the sticker on the drivers door before you drive it and checked regularly on any long drives. You may want to consider staying off the highways until you have warmed the tires up and have them worked in again to prevent them from over heating and thumping at higher speeds. If they are over 5 years old be very carefull about driving the interstates or coming down South as tires you may get away with up North tend to blow out over here after the get that old even of visually they look new.

Does it have the Jet Air suspension? That was probably the best option available on those old Vectra's. If it does put it in automatic mode for driving (not park and level) and give the system time to level off the coach before driving off.

Do consider getting a spare ABC fire extinguisher of decent size just in case. The one that came with the coach even if the gauge reads good could be compacted and clog when you need it and it is too small for anything but a minor kitchen fire at best.

Here is a link to your operators manual if you don't have the binder that came with the coach:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...4/94Vectra.pdf

If you are not new at this I appologize for treating you as a beginner but safety is always #1 and even more critcal when dealing with old, large vehicles such as your Vectra.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have wet batteries, be sure to fill them with distilled water. Batteries with low water are more likely to freeze. Covering your batteries with thermal wraps will help also. battery and engine blankets - Bing Images
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #26

Neil it breaks my heart to think of your Vectra. I love mine and could only imagine how devastating losing it must have been. I will write more when time permits but right now I have my hands full. They lowered our expected wind chill to minus thirty five for the next 24 hours. My hot water is frozen and the water heater is not firing up. It is Atwood GH 67E. I have opened cupboard doors, have a space heater in the bath. A day from now it will warm up to the mid twenties, and above freezing on Sunday. For the time being I am just grateful the furnace is still running. Frostbite can happen in 10 minutes outside the door and my dogs have been very patient but now need to go outside. I will check in periodically Thanks all!

Edited to add when walking dogs I see icicles on the water heater cover, not a lot but then again it wouldn't take but a minute to freeze solid
Old 01-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #27

Well
I just tried the water heater switch again and it fired up! When water is fully heated the "pilot out" light comes on and at that point I usually turn the heater switch to off. Then turn back on when I judge the temp to have fallen. Maybe I should just leave it on continuously. Manual is particularly unhelpful except to tell me that i should have drained it months ago rather than try to coexist with Winter
Old 01-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #28

If you have a DSI WH, there is no pilot light.