Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2023, 09:33 AM   #1

Factory installed solar panels

I purchased a new Venture travel trailer. It has solar panels installed on the roof.

This is what I "think" is happening: The solar panel directs power to the battery (or converter) first. If the battery is dis-charged to some degree, the solar panel charges the battery until it has full charge. (lead acid battery).

As the trailer uses battery power, the solar panels continue to replace lost charge in the battery. When the battery is full, then the solar panel cannot continue recharging until there is a draw on the battery.
All of this takes place automatic without any input from myself.

Is this correct?

Thank you for your consideration.
Hurrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2023, 10:20 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Some of these factories installed systems are to assist in maintaining the battery while in storage.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrel View Post
I purchased a new Venture travel trailer. It has solar panels installed on the roof.

This is what I "think" is happening: The solar panel directs power to the battery (or converter) first. If the battery is dis-charged to some degree, the solar panel charges the battery until it has full charge. (lead acid battery).

As the trailer uses battery power, the solar panels continue to replace lost charge in the battery. When the battery is full, then the solar panel cannot continue recharging until there is a draw on the battery.
All of this takes place automatic without any input from myself.

Is this correct?

Thank you for your consideration.
Yes, you are correct.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:50 PM   #4

Yes, that is how they work.

One thing to note is if the load is larger than the panels are putting in, the batteries will continue to discharge. A common mistake beginners make is to look at the rated output of the panels, and assume that's what is going into the batteries, all the time. In reality, there's almost always some small load stripping some of those amps off the top, leaving a smaller net amperage left over to go into the batteries. As an example, I have a decent sized system that can commonly put out more than 40amps. However, if my residential refrigerator is cooling, it uses about 16 amps to do so, leaving only 24 amps going into my batteries. It's actually a few amps less, because I have some other small things running along with the refrigerator.

As mentioned above, some manufacturers place a small panel on the roof and it's only purpose is to keep the batteries topped off when in storage. Lead acid batteries lose a small percentage of charge each month even when sitting disconnected.

I see that you are new to the forum. What will help others who may reply, is to put your trailer brand and model in your signature. That can help responders make better informed replies, as every RV is different.

Another thing that would help for questions like this is, to give some details about the system you are asking about - in this case, how many batteries and how many watts of solar your trailer has.

Solar systems can be confusing at first because there's a lot of variables involved. Once you understand the basics of how they work, it becomes much less confusing. I suggest you spend some time reading through the Going Green section. It may be very confusing at first, and you may read things that seem to contradict others, but after a while you'll understand how these systems work, and can apply that knowledge to your own system.

Forgive me for the following oversimplified explanation, but it's a good way to explain the basic idea. One simple way to this of your system is, you batteries are like a bucket and the larger your battery bank the larger the bucket. Your solar panels are the faucet that fills the bucket, and the loads are like a spigot on the bottom of the bucket. The size of your solar dictates how fast the bucket fills, and the size of the spigot and how far open it is dictates how fast the bucket empties. The bigger the faucet filling it, and the bigger the bucket, the more you can let out the bottom without it going dry.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, led, panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels