RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2020, 06:52 PM   #1

Fantastic Fan fan blade removal?

I can't believe I'm stuck on this. I have an older model Fantastic Fan that has the screen ring with the 8 screws. I took that off and cleaned the screen. Now I can't figure out how to remove the fan blade. I seems to be press-fit on the motor shaft. No socket fits the end of the shaft. I thought it was a bolt, but nothing would come off. There are arrows on the blade. Not sure if that's how you take it off or not. Any ideas? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I seem to remember using an allen wrench to remove the blade.

Take a look around the center section, you should see the set screw that holds the fan on.

I think it took a long allen wrench to reach in to the set screw.

Happy Glamping.

Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #3

It comes out from the top, open lid as far as possible, get on roof take out 4 screws unplug wires and remove motor and fan
Reka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I seem to remember using an allen wrench to remove the blade.

Take a look around the center section, you should see the set screw that holds the fan on.

I think it took a long allen wrench to reach in to the set screw.

Happy Glamping.

That's exactly how mine is. Don't recall the allen wrench size, but it was also a bear to get out. Finally it broke loose and from then on an easy task. Made cleaning it a lot easier and nicer.

Just found my notes and it was a 3/32" x 9 T-handle wrench. I also found a "how to clean" on Fantastic's website (8/13/13) so may not be there now. Good luck.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #5

Thank you, Guys...I think that Reka may be right. I tried for two hours using various sockets and other tools. I finally noticed a flat spot on one side of the shaft end, indicating that it was pushed on. There is no screw of any type to engage with a tool. I will try access from the top next. I couldn't find any Fantastic Fan website. It seems like all the vendors have taken over all the incoming search paths for the product. Youtube has many videos, but all of them seem to be for later models where there is a screw you remove to remove the fan blade. I watched a lot of them!
Old 01-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #6

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
A quick search, and I found this...

"Question:
I need to remove the fan blade from the drive motor in order to properly clean this unit,. is there a special tool to remove this fan blade. the trailer is a 2011 model 2285.
asked by: Daniel M
Expert Reply:
To remove the fan blade of a Fan Tastic Roof Vent you will need to first remove the screen on the underside. You will want to then remove the vent cover lid from the outside of the trailer as well.

There are four screws from the top of the cover that hold the blade and motor to the top of the vent housing. You will be able to remove the motor and blade at this point.

There is then an allen wrench screw sized 3/32 inch that will need to be loosened on the shaft of the fan that will then allow the blade to release. Check out the picture I attached to see it."

Happy Glamping.
Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious why you are removing the blade. Is it broken?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #8

Quick answer, those fans are press fit on the motor shaft and will break if more that a couple years old. You can easily remove the assembly from topside with four screws. The replacement fan motor assemblies are now slightly smaller in overall diameter but work and fit just fine. Just upgraded two last year that we're getting noisey and slow. Cheap fix.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Thank you, Guys...I think that Reka may be right. I tried for two hours using various sockets and other tools. I finally noticed a flat spot on one side of the shaft end, indicating that it was pushed on. There is no screw of any type to engage with a tool. I will try access from the top next. I couldn't find any Fantastic Fan website. It seems like all the vendors have taken over all the incoming search paths for the product. Youtube has many videos, but all of them seem to be for later models where there is a screw you remove to remove the fan blade. I watched a lot of them!
If you find that your motor is Model 2000DMTS (a big black motor) do everything possible to keep that motor. They are pretty much bullet proof, quiet and seem to last forever. My 2 Fantastic vents have them and they are still working perfectly. The newer motors are junk. I cleaned my blades once I pulled the motor/blades out from the top. I never tried to remove them.
While you're up on the roof, spray some electrical cleaner in the plunger switch under the fan lid - it controls when the fan turns on and off.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm curious why you are removing the blade. Is it broken?
Hi Arch,

The fan blade needed cleaning badly. Since the unit is covered on top with a MaxAir vent, we thought it would be easier to clean the blade from the inside.
It was easy for me because my wife did it! The only thing I had to do was remove the screen.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes they are a bit difficult to clean!

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, removal