Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2022, 08:17 PM   #1

Feed thru 50amp outlet?

A little off topic but still rv related. We just finally bought a house a couple months ago. I just had a shop put in behind the house. I'm fixing to run a 6ga wire from my house to my new shop but I would like to come out of the house to a 50amp plug for our rv and then straight out to the shop from it. Do they make an outlet to go in and back out or would I need to pigtail inside the 50amp outlet box to go out to the shop? Thanks for any help!
Bobby
bsshog40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2022, 11:15 PM   #2

They may make em but I've never come across a 50 amp receptacle set up to run in series.

You might can cram two wires (the in and out) under each terminal screw on the receptacle but I would pigtail (parallel) it to keep the circuit more reliable.
Old 12-09-2022, 03:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Feed thru 50amp outlet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
They may make em but I've never come across a 50 amp receptacle set up to run in series.

You might can cram two wires (the in and out) under each terminal screw on the receptacle but I would pigtail (parallel) it to keep the circuit more reliable.

That’s a big NO!🤦🏻
Old 12-09-2022, 04:07 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Dont piggy back wires under a lug not made for that purpose, ESPECIALLY if the shop is down stream and will be the heavy load user..

I have robbed peter to pay pau l..poor saying ..but.. I monitor and control what I am using/doing .. as a temporary..etc..

In your case pick up a 4 breaker sub panel. OutDoor and 2 breakers,
https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-W0204...445140779&th=1

Feed that device,, from a 50 or 60 amp breaker in the house..

then drop A RV plug below it for RV hooked to one breaker and then take other breaker to shop with a feed,

Total feed source is only 50A but the both draw branches will each be protected .. You can still plugin RV and use power in shop.. Running AC in RV and a compressor in shop may load up the house feed fast but be wise in use of both at same time..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
Dont piggy back wires under a lug not made for that purpose, ESPECIALLY if the shop is down stream and will be the heavy load user..

I have robbed peter to pay pau l..poor saying ..but.. I monitor and control what I am using/doing .. as a temporary..etc..

In your case pick up a 4 breaker sub panel. OutDoor and 2 breakers,
https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-W0204...445140779&th=1

Feed that device,, from a 50 or 60 amp breaker in the house..

then drop A RV plug below it for RV hooked to one breaker and then take other breaker to shop with a feed,

Total feed source is only 50A but the both draw branches will each be protected .. You can still plugin RV and use power in shop.. Running AC in RV and a compressor in shop may load up the house feed fast but be wise in use of both at same time..
This is why I asked. I knew there was a way to do it right. I forgot about a little sub-panel. Thank you!!!
bsshog40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:54 AM   #6

A standard RV pedestal built for loop feeds would be what you need. You can buy one online.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:02 AM   #7

You can also run a separate set of wires to the RV recep, use a large enough conduit to run 2 circuits, terminate one set on the RV recep and continue on with the rest to the shop, then make your pigtails in the panel to the single breaker. It may be possible to twin up some of your existing circuits to make room for another 2 pole 50 but don't do this if you are not familiar with multi-wire branch circuit rules (If you have small gauge red and black wires you have multi wire branch circuits) or if your panel does not allow twins (see label diagram for twin positions or check bus for notched stabs)

Incidentally if you purchase a Midwest box (pictured below) for a 50 amp RV receptacle it will be plenty large enough for your pigtails, a standard 4" box will not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50arv.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	382393  
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:04 AM   #8

Sibe gives good advice. There is a difference between what will appear to work and what will work safely and effectively.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:09 AM   #9

If I were bothering to put in electrical for my RV, I'd put in one of these. Available at Home Depot and probably other locations.
Specifically has lugs for in and out wiring.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-RV-Pa...32SS/203393689
Old 12-09-2022, 08:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
If I were bothering to put in electrical for my RV, I'd put in one of these. Available at Home Depot and probably other locations.
Those do not provide for in and out wiring, there are only single conductor termination lugs inside intended for end of line termination. You can purchase pedestals designed for loop wiring but quite large and pricey.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:16 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Pricey, but the best solution and provides more available uses.
largo1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
That’s a big NO!����
I should not have even mentioned the cramming of the wires under the receptacle terminals. But is running parallel a big NO as well?

This is what I did when I ran my 30 amp circuit. It feeds first into the RV 30 amp box and then on out to the garage. From a 30 amp breaker in the main panel, I ran 6 gauge out to the box where I made my first connections (incoming, receptacle, out to garage). Did this with each, the hot, neutral, and ground. A sub panel in the garage houses two 15 amp breakers that feed two circuits in the garage. My research back in the day showed that this was an acceptable method.

Only lighting and a couple of 15 amp receptacles in the old garage,, I did not need 220.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #13

So I'm not wanting to run my 50amp outlet from my shop. I want to come out my main house breaker which has a 60amp breaker not being used. I need to go to a sub-panel and put in two 50amp breakers. One will tie into a 50amp rv outlet and the other continue to my shop panel.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
So I'm not wanting to run my 50amp outlet from my shop. I want to come out my main house breaker which has a 60amp breaker not being used. I need to go to a sub-panel and put in two 50amp breakers. One will tie into a 50amp rv outlet and the other continue to my shop panel.
Sounds like a decent plan, but….at the end of the day why not just invest in a decent panel for the shop and run the 50a back out to the rv pedestal? You eliminate a breaker panel in series that way, and get 60a capability in your shop.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote