Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2022, 10:20 AM   #1

Feedback on installation of mini split on travel trailer

So idea 2.0. I had been trying to avoid it but bumper mount the unit like others have done.

Advantages:
-Protects the condenser from road debris.
-Aesthetically more pleasing than having to raise the unit well above the propane tanks.
-gets whatever is already allegedly a very quiet condenser much further from the bedroom.
-less sharp bends and less bends in the refrigerant lines overall (I think)
- being able to run the air con/heat pump while driving. I think this is a possibility* and would eliminate one of the big disadvantages of the mini split which is cool down/heat up time.

*I would be running it off a LifePo battery bank and would not need to run it the entire time probably just turn it on an hour before arrival and I can do that via WiFi without even having to get out of the tow vehicle.

Disadvantages-
-extra cost> the stock refrigerant lines are usually 25 feet, I would have to buy an extension set, I would have to extend the comm line as well. I would also need to buy bumper reinforcement and bumper cargo Carrier brackets.
-difficulty of install> I would have to figure out how to chase the refrigerant lines down the underbelly of the trailer. I would have to drop the chloroplasts down to find the most appropriate place to run the lines and then also figure out how to resecure the chloroplasts. And also deal with figuring out how to route the the lines through any sort of insulation in the underbelly
-lose some departure angle
-where to coil the extra line? I could add platform of diamond plate over the bumper brackets and coil the line underneath the condenser unit since it'll be elevated on feet anyway.

Overall even though it resisted it I think this is a better mounting idea.

Plan: although my bumper is already frame welded I would still buy reinforcement brackets. I would then install the support cargo Carrier brackets and if possible cut them down some so that they aren't so far out behind the bumper to gain me back a bit of departure angle and make the travel trailer not so long. I would Mount the condenser unit to the bumper brackets. I would then run the lines underneath the travel trailer tucked up above the chloroplast underbelly and I would run the lines covered in foam insulation to help protect from freezing and to give them some padding in the event of road debris strikes to the underbelly. I could possibly run them inside a PVC Chase as well but that would make them a much larger impediment to tucking them up into the underbelly and might be Overkill and also add more cost to the installation overall.

I could then move the tire off the bumper and put it up front on the tongue where I am removing the lead acid battery.

Thoughts on improvement for this installation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220909_102825.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	375941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220909-101251_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	375942  

Name:	Screenshot_20220909-101357_Chrome.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	375943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220909-100615_Chrome.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	375944  

Name:	Screenshot_20220909-121628_Gallery.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	375945   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220630_105107.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	375946  

chaostactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You'll have to see what works out after detailed evaluation.
My thoughts are:

The front location is mechanically more secure if you put it on the frame rails and move the tanks up instead of the A/C. You could put some isolation under the unit to lower vibration to and from the frame. I wouldn't be concerned about the proximity to the bed if you get a unit known for it's quite operation.

Covering the unit on the road should be easy and advisable front or rear. Road spray will always be a problem.

Have you looked at using a ceiling cassette. You can move it to a more central location. Not loose any cabinet and if there is already a hole for and roof A/C that might be the perfect place.

If you are going to run on batteries have you considered using 48V DC. This will save on the inverter size/weight and wiring. Getting a DC/DC to run the 12V stuff should be easy and not to expensive.

This looks like a really fun project. I'm sure it will be a fantastic upgrade.

Tags
install, installation, trailer, travel, travel trailer