RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

Filling a water heater when filling water tank

Hi all,

When I am filling my main water tank how do I make sure my water heater fills up? Does the water heater need to be running or just the water pump?

We mostly stay in State parks with no water hook up or dry camp. My water tank is 65 gallons so the extra 6 gallons will be handy (also have a 5gb portable tank).

Thanks,

Stephen
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Just water pump. Run a hot water faucet inside if you feel some air needs purged.

Wash your Hands, Wear a Mask, Social Distance
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

Thanks,

I will turn on the water pump when I have the water tank has 15 gallons or so on it, I presume that will be enough time to fill the water heater tank while the main tank is filling.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Think of it this way. There's only two ways water can be sent through your entire fresh water system. Either using camp ground water pressure or your water pump. If you are not using a CG system then it's the pump.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Think of it this way. There's only two ways water can be sent through your entire fresh water system. Either using camp ground water pressure or your water pump. If you are not using a CG system then it's the pump.
Thanks, was not sure if the water heater had to be switched on to fill the water tank.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Thanks, was not sure if the water heater had to be switched on to fill the water tank.
No... In fact you should make sure it is turned off before you drain and until it's filled.
Electric HWH turned on w/o being filled will generally burn out elements pretty quick. Also not best to run propane w/ am empty tank... OFF until full
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #7

Thanks Winemaker.

How will I know when the water heater is full?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #8

I fill mine for the first time of the season on outside water source. No point in running the pump for a long period of time just to fill the lines and water heater. Hook up the hose from the campground or house, put the setting on city water. Open a hot water tap in one of the sinks. Go out to the cover for the hot water heater. Open the cover. You will see a flip up valve on the front of the tank. Flip it up. You should hear air coming out. Once the tank fills you will start to get water out of the valve. Close the valve. Leave the sink tap open until all air has stopped coming out and you get a steady stream of water. The heater is now full and safe to turn on. Open all taps until no more air comes out. Never turn on the tank without filling it first. One of the main reason for opening the blow off valve and releasing the air is that if your hot water tank bypass valve is in the wrong position, and the tank is bypassed, you will still get water out of the tap , but no water will be in the heater. If you open the flip up blow off valve and no air or water comes out, the bypass valve is likely in the wrong position. Lots of people drain the hot water tank, then bypass it when putting rv antifreeze in the system for the winter. This way they dont have to put five gallons of antifreeze into the heater that already has been drained of all water.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #9

When you are filling the water heater, be sure the bypass valve is not in the bypass position. If it is, you'll still get water out of the hot water spigots, but the tank will not fill. I always use the high limit valve on the heater. When I trip it, and get water, I'm sure the electric heating element is immersed. An immersed heater rod means no burned out element. Don't ask me how I know.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
When you are filling the water heater, be sure the bypass valve is not in the bypass position. If it is, you'll still get water out of the hot water spigots, but the tank will not fill. I always use the high limit valve on the heater. When I trip it, and get water, I'm sure the electric heating element is immersed. An immersed heater rod means no burned out element. Don't ask me how I know.
I believe that is what i said, but maybe Im a little long winded in my description. lol
Old 06-21-2017, 12:54 AM   #11

While filling main fresh tank I turn on the water pump and run the sink and shower to purge any air from water heater. Finish filling fresh and drain the gray now that it's got some water in it. Once at camp you then just need to turn on water heater and wait 15 min
Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 AM   #12

Thanks all, I appreciate it.

Stupid question, I know what a bypass valve is but not sure where, on back of water heater? I am sure it is not in operation as have plenty of hot water.

Only have the coach a year and it was winterized for me and I de winterized it myself.

If I am running the hot water to get air out I will do so in to a basin.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Thanks Winemaker.

How will I know when the water heater is full?
When I start filling I will open one hot water faucet and you should get air bleeding off for awhile - if you don't you are likely still on by-pass.

Once I get full water flow I will turn on the water heater element(s) if I want HW or wait until I do.

I've had 2 MHs previously but the Newmar Ventana is new to me and I'm still figuring out where a lot of valves / switches are located & functions.

Diesel, all electric & Oasis system are the major new items for me.
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
When I start filling I will open one hot water faucet and you should get air bleeding off for awhile - if you don't you are likely still on by-pass.

Once I get full water flow I will turn on the water heater element(s) if I want HW or wait until I do.

I've had 2 MHs previously but the Newmar Ventana is new to me and I'm still figuring out where a lot of valves / switches are located & functions.

Diesel, all electric & Oasis system are the major new items for me.
Thanks Winemaker,

I am starting to get used to it now, my rig us definitely simpler than yours.

Does the bypass for when on city water?

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water, water heater