Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2021, 09:08 PM   #1

Forza rooftop A/C

that. So here goes. 2019 win. Forza 34t model. Coleman front and rear units 13500 btu and heat pump. (Front). The motorhome is plugged into 50 amp service, it has 122 volts on both lines. The firefly pad says line 1 is pulling 5amps And 122volts with the a/c on. But it is blowing hot air. In 5 minutes it was blowing 92 deg. Went on the roof and pulled the cover on the back and the Compressor was really hot, The high and low lines out of the evaporator was cool , also the 4 lines at the heat pump switch where also cool, as was the condenser. The ambient air temp was about 90 and all the lines where about 82 degrees. So where should I look next ? I know a little bit about air systemís . A little help would be great. Iím soaking my hand right now like I said that Condenser was hot. And I mean really hot. Thanks.
Mgrrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The running temp on the compressor is likely ambient + 20deg. centigrade, warm but shouldn't burn you. The current draw looks like fan only. I suspect the compressor is off on internal overload. When it cool down enough it will try to start again and you'll see a dramatic change in the current flow. Low voltage as well as a low or loss of refrigerant will cause the compressor to run hot. I would at least take a peek inside the control box, you may have a wiring or capacitor issue.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:18 AM   #3

Thank you,
Old 06-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #4

Update. Opened up the control box and all the wires are good . No burnt wires and all wires tight on the spades. The freeze switch and high-pressure switch wired to the relay is not tripped either. So this leaves the capacitors next. Does anyone know how to check them? Thank you for your time
Old 06-10-2021, 08:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgrrv View Post
Update. Opened up the control box and all the wires are good . No burnt wires and all wires tight on the spades. The freeze switch and high-pressure switch wired to the relay is not tripped either. So this leaves the capacitors next. Does anyone know how to check them? Thank you for your time
Did the compressor try to start after it cooled down? Some digital meters have a capacitor mode. An ohms check is difficult as the capacitor is merely accepting a charge. Your best bet is a capacitor tester. I would check your area for an electric motor supply, they may be able to help. I doubt they are that expensive if you can source them locally you might try just replacing them.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Newsomes View Post
Did the compressor try to start after it cooled down? Some digital meters have a capacitor mode. An ohms check is difficult as the capacitor is merely accepting a charge. Your best bet is a capacitor tester. I would check your area for an electric motor supply, they may be able to help. I doubt they are that expensive if you can source them locally you might try just replacing them.
Yes I did try to start the ac, before and after I looked in the control box, same thing , only 5 amp on the touchscreen. But I noticed that the compressor was vibrating and shaking . Back in the old days that was a sign of a bad capacitor. So Iím going to start looking for replacements hopefully not made in China. If that doesnít work then just order a new a/c unit. Thank you for your time and if you are ever in Quartzsite Arizona let us know and I will buy you a beer.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
With the compressor running and none to minimal increase in current flow indicates there is no load on the compressor motor. It may be totally void of refrigerant or an internal valve failure. Any oily areas around the condenser area?
Old 06-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Newsomes View Post
With the compressor running and none to minimal increase in current flow indicates there is no load on the compressor motor. It may be totally void of refrigerant or an internal valve failure. Any oily areas around the condenser area?
No signs of refrigerant oil anywhere. I am just going to order a new 15 K unit for it. I have never been happy with the cooling of the 13.5, my fault for not ordering it originally, the old motor home we ordered both a/c as 15k. We where very happy with it! I hope who ever bought it after we traded it in appreciate it. Again thank you for your time. Steve.

Tags
roof