Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2022, 05:11 PM   #1

Freedom 20 charger, not charging....

New to me coach..... house batteries are 1 year old.

Freedom 20 charger/inverter. Inverter side seems to work fine. Charger side isn't charging though. Remote control panel settings are set per manual. Testing procedure per Xantrex, with remote cable and temp sensor unhooked, shows no voltage increase at DC connections on charger. Charge light is on, both on remote and charger itself. Pulled the top off of it. There's 2 fuses inside, and both appear to be fine, with voltage showing on both sides of them.

I'm guessing a control board got fried? Battery connections look good. And batteries charge fine off the alternator. Thoughts?

Here's a video clip I made today to send to the previous owner. He's trying to help me figure it out. Anyone else have any ideas? Can't find any breakers tripped. No blown fuses, etc. Doesn't charge on shore power or generator.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2022, 05:47 PM   #2

No offense intended but I have never had a good experience with a xantrex product. You can google your local xantrex dealer which hopefully is a battery dealer too and used to dealing with RV's. You can drive your rig down or just pull the xantrex and let them test it for you. Just don't buy another lol. Plenty of Pure Sine choices out there, only issue is finding one in stock these days.

Magnums are well liked, AIM, Victron etc. I would never use a modified sine again.

My RV had that unit, sent it to scrap. I now have an AIM, could not get a Magnum. I hope my inverter can't hear me.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:52 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That video didn't work. What do you mean by not charging? Are the batteries drained and you're plugged in and they aren't getting a charge at all? Or might the batteries already be near capacity and the charger isn't adding any more because they're full? Are they past bulk charging and on to absorption or just float? They won't charge at full tilt all the way to 100%. They'll slow down at some point and then slow to a trickle. What makes you think they aren't charging?
Old 01-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #4

Video should work now. Charger should put out 14 plus volts for bulk and acceptance, then go to 13 plus for float. It doesn't put out anything that I can tell.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:33 AM   #5

There are 2 glass fuses inside the case, often found on the back side of the circuit board depending on the revision which are prone to failing and causing this symptom, are these the fuses that you checked?
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:44 AM   #6

Yep, both fuses are good. I get the same voltage on each side of them.

I’m looking at new inverters now, trying to find one that fits in the same space, with adequate clearance for the fans and vents.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:12 AM   #7

I swapped out mine for a 2500 watts unit from AIMS. It will fit in the same spot. The hardest part will be running the control cable to the remote display.
bentjm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, charging, free