Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2012, 02:57 AM   #1

Freedom 458 Inverter Removal and By-Pass

After encountering a internal PC board problem with my Freedom 458 Inverter and loss of two 120 VAC circuits i.e. microwave oven, bathroom lights etc. I made a decision to remove the inverter and install a temporary by-pass circuit. Purchased a two space breaker box and one each 20 and 15 amp QO Square D breakers at Home Depot and wired the components into the existing inverter in-put/out-put wiring. Taking note of the proper grounding and hot/neutral wiring, the install took approximately one hour and I now have a temporary fix and power to the effected circuits. I didn't cut any wire, keeping them their original lengths, as I'll be reinstalling the inverter after it's repaired or replaced with a new unit. Installed a piece of plywood as a base for my Schumacher Automatic Battery Charger which keeps all the batteries charged. Simply hooked the charger cables to the battery power cables which were attached to the front of the inverter and set the charger for 2 amp deep cycle charging.

Here's a few pics of the by-pass breaker box.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7179/6...fae63b86_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7205/6...2d72046a_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7037/6...479c3f7a_z.jpg
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
I see the neutral is double tapped on the right. The metal box itself appears to be ungrounded. Just my observation and happy to be shot down in flames. Cheers.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKinaMoho View Post
I see the neutral is double tapped on the right. The metal box itself appears to be ungrounded. Just my observation and happy to be shot down in flames. Cheers.
Took note of your observation and added a ground to the breaker box. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Before adding the ground wire I checked continuity from box to ground and it showed good. Had the identical ohm reading after the ground was installed. The feed wire from my EMS has a 30 amp breaker and the ground wires, hot and neutral wires originate from that large breaker box under my refrigerator.
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter