Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 09:11 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord View Post
All this talk about fans is missing the point that if the refrigerator isn't perfectly level, it's not going to perform as designed because the fluids inside the unit won't flow the way they're intended. Before you try anything else, make sure you're level. I've never had any problems with my refrigerator because I don't operate it unless it's level. The boiler will overheat when you're not level and in worse case scenarios, the boiler can explode cause a fire and burn up the whole RV. Once you're level, keep the sun off the refrigerator side and work on your fans.
Reasonably, comfortably level -----doesn't have to be 'perfectly level'
Absorber tube bundle needs to retain the SLANT so gravity flow can occur
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 09:31 AM   #58

Ford Super Duty Owner
http://https://lifeonroute.com/why-y...s-to-be-level/
Quote:
The fridge needs to be level so that the ammonia liquid falls from the condenser fins at the top of the refrigerator to the evaporator coils at the bottom. The more uneven the fridge is, the less efficiently the ammonia liquid will travel, not only decreasing the fridge’s ability to cool food, but also causing damage to the unit over time.
If the refrigerator won't cool properly when it's level, it probably has been damaged by continued operation when it wasn't. Being level is critical to the operation of the refrigerator because gravity enables the ammonia solution to return to the boiler and start the process over again. This point can't be emphasized enough. Keep it on the level.
DFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:00 PM   #59

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasq40 View Post
Wondering if there's much else I can do to my fridge to get it a little cooler. I took apart the access panel and cleaned the burner area, nice blue flame. Up top I noticed a kink in the cooling line (pic attached) but that almost looks factory. Abiment temp out is low thirties and the camper is parked out on full sun most the day. First big trip with the camper so haven't really had a chance to compare the fridge temp at home in cold weather. I've tried it over propane and 110v and it stays around the same. Am I hitting normal temp for my outside temp in full sun? I plan to get fans to stick on both grates(proably the Titan ones) Attachment 337026
The very best long term thing you can do is to convert it to a residential compressor type or for replacing it with a home model. I did the conversion on our Norcold. One of the best mods yet.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:01 PM   #60

We do 80% of camping backcountry with no power so we have to run it off gas. Will try some of the other suggestion when we get home and see how much we can improve it.
Sasq40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:15 PM   #61

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasq40 View Post
We do 80% of camping backcountry with no power so we have to run it off gas. Will try some of the other suggestion when we get home and see how much we can improve it.
And how many days do you go without running a genset anyway.
As an alternative, JC Refrigeration also sells a much improved gas/elect. replacement unit.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
And how many days do you go without running a genset anyway.

As an alternative, JC Refrigeration also sells a much improved gas/elect. replacement unit.
I try my darnedest to not turn on the Gen at all, when it's super hot we run ac, but we do lots of fall camping when it hits freezing, so the fridge keeps up then lol.
Sasq40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #63

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry, the "LUCK" was (meant more as) an abbreviation for "Good luck in finding/ fixing. Your issue"; now see cud b misread :-)
Old 10-19-2021, 09:01 PM   #64

fridge fan

Here's what i bought and it worked great.....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089BWZ3PX...roduct_details
ArcticRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:08 AM   #65

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Uhmmm "-1c" in REFRIG is BELOW FREEZING... WHAT MORE would you want? You do know to initially allow 24-hours to cool?
Old 11-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #66

We added two sets of Titan fans this past summer -- attached two larger ones up in top of the vent /chimney behind the fridge, and two smaller ones at an angle at the bottom of the vent chimney. The added externals fans in back DO make a great difference.
When adding the lower pair of fans, I attached them at a 45 degree angle, theoretically to pulloutside air in through the lower vent panel, then 90 degree bend upward through the rear exterior fridge coils. I installed the lower twins left of center, farther away from the propane gas burner and flue which is on the right side of the cavity, on our camper at least.

Before installing the fans, I connected each pair separately to a 9v battery to verify direction of air flow, and marked the fan hubs accordingly. Do not want the units to be attempting to move air in opposite directions!

The drop in fridge and freezer temps was very noticeable, and we worth the effort
GringoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #67

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also added three fans at the top and three more st the bottom and already had one fan half way up. The freezer stays well below zero F as nd mss as in box at 33 to 35. Put on this on a wireless relay system.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free, fridge