Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2022, 08:50 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do not agree with the safety of the Fridge Defend you can simply block the thread under thread tools and you can also block the member Fridge Defend. But I have chatted with the designer and his work is sound and is a way to greatly reduce the chance of ruining a fridge or having a fire.

They have a good product to help your safety since Dometic and Norcold will not properly design the units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #30
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Exclamation

If you've found your post deleted, you know why.

FINAL WARNING!!! BE NICE OR DON'T POST

The life of this thread is up to you.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:32 AM   #31

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Ammonia Refrigeration Expertise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you do not agree with the safety of the Fridge Defend you can simply block the thread under thread tools and you can also block the member Fridge Defend. But I have chatted with the designer and his work is sound and is a way to greatly reduce the chance of ruining a fridge or having a fire.

They have a good product to help your safety since Dometic and Norcold will not properly design the units.

Ken
Thanks for your post Ken,

It is very kind of you to support us.

iRV2 is extremely fortunate to have someone with your expertise.

Very few people have the experience with ammonia refrigeration applications like you have.

I would be interested in your comments about the pressure and temperature curves that were posted. In particular, the consequences of the boiler pump discontinuity.

Maybe a new thread that focuses on the technical details may be more appropriate?

There is a lot of interest on this subject, I am impressed with the seeking of knowledge on iRV2.

Take care
Old 07-20-2022, 07:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge Defend View Post
... iRV2 is extremely fortunate to have someone with your expertise.

Very few people have the experience with ammonia refrigeration applications like you have.

I would be interested in your comments about the pressure and temperature curves that were posted. In particular, the consequences of the boiler pump discontinuity.

Maybe a new thread that focuses on the technical details may be more appropriate?
Here ya go... TX and you can knock yer socks off...
https://www.refrigeration-engineer.c...-Refrigerants&

I do enjoy the discussion, but no one addressed the fact the OP parked his unit indoors with propane AND reefer on (the same) for application of some possibly inflammable spray after the unit was totally covered with sheeting.
But the continuous posting of the same videos and salesmanship can stop in my opinion.

moderator edit]
Old 07-20-2022, 08:23 AM   #33

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Promoting Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post

I do enjoy the discussion, but no one addressed the fact the OP parked his unit indoors with propane AND reefer on (the same) for application of some possibly inflammable spray after the unit was totally covered with sheeting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post

I'm glad you enjoy the discussion, and want to address your cares and concerns regarding some points you made:

1) "the fact the OP parked his unit indoors with propane AND reefer on". Yes, this is a very important fact, and yes this is the right use of this post. And yes we are supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts by teaching. *From the original post, Fred2 stated:

"In case you're wondering, prior to taking our coach to the shop I did ask if they required the refrigerator to be emptied and turned off. I was told "No, it will be fine" - probably not the best answer from them, or decision on my part to listen to them."

There are a number of things gleaned from this:

a) This was bad advice from the beginning, but folks are taking their rigs to professionals, and professionals give advice that folks follow because that is what they are paying for.

b) Based on (a), there are circumstances that are not typical, sometimes they call these accidents. This is why Fred2 stated:

"Unfortunately, it's difficult to say if there's an actual improvement in safety until there is a problem.", thus I believe we are sharing expertise on safety and potential problems that can occur. The RV tech had the best of intentions, thus this was an accident.

2) "application of some possibly inflammable spray", thanks for this observation. I also felt that the roofing material could be inflammable, but I do not know, can any one share their thoughtful exchange of knowledge on this possibility?

3) "totally covered with sheeting", you are correct, this is a point that should be shared with other RVers. It is important that all RVers learn from folks with expertise in their field of knowledge. It is clear you understand that this is potential for an accident, but the person doing the repair did not. As a person that has expertise in RV systems and appliances, I would like to elaborate on your thoughtful comment:

There are a number of appliances that need ventilation to work properly, if the air is restricted they become a safety issue. Thus, the best thing to do is turn off all electrical power in this case.

In addition, if propane is onboard, the propane bottles should have been shut off at the tank, I think you commented on this.

I agree when you say that you want to "addressed the fact", it is through posts like this that safety is promoted and taught to our fellow RVers

*Original Post
Old 07-21-2022, 05:26 PM   #34

Fridge Defend

Am now a believer in this, see photos. Our MH burned exactly because of this. Norcold with the recall added. Question for all, when buying older MH, as allot do, how can you tell the amount of abuse previous owners subjected their fridge to, ie running unlevel. How many times doing that before your buying a time bomb. Can assure you ours was never run off level as I had heard all the stories
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	845B0891-3450-41F0-B170-7C83A40B2342.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	371633  
Old 07-21-2022, 08:47 PM   #35

Frigdefend

We have a Monaco Cayman with a 1200 series Norcold refrigerator. The frig was improperly installed by Monaco. The burner tube was next to thin wood battens used to hold the fiberglass insulation inside the cabinet. The battens charred and almost caught fire. Frigdefend will not protect against improper installation.

We changed the cooling unit to an all electric unit from JC Refrigeration. Much, much better cooling, will run efficiently off the inverter because of low power draw, and greatly reduced chance of a fire.

I recommend all Monaco owners pull their Norcold refrigerator and inspect the interior of the cabinet. Compare the Monaco installation with the installation instructions from Norcold.

Stay safe out there...
JK
Old 07-22-2022, 03:54 AM   #36

Has this forum become a sales platform? Can I advertise something? What happened to the rules...or do they allow this?
Old 07-22-2022, 05:35 AM   #37

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Wood Battens Charred by Norcold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kaehms View Post
We have a Monaco Cayman with a 1200 series Norcold refrigerator. The frig was improperly installed by Monaco. The burner tube was next to thin wood battens used to hold the fiberglass insulation inside the cabinet. The battens charred and almost caught fire. Frigdefend will not protect against improper installation.

Stay safe out there...
JK
I would like to speak to this comment as we do have experience with this particular issue.

Most likely the boiler overheated and charred the wood.
The wood will char at 450°-500°F.

The cooling unit should never get to this temperature, thus the comment "Frigdefend will not protect against improper installation" is kind of correct.

I state 'kind of' because the cooling unit compartment should never get to the temperatures that wood chars at, the simple reason is that the fridge will stop working when cooling unit compartment gets this hot.

In your case, the Fridge Defend would have most likely prevented this issue. But, you are correct, there are many situations that the Fridge Defend cannot prevent a fire. There is presently a recall on a particular manufacture where they put wiring in the cooling unit compartment that causes fires. Although the Fridge Defend cannot keep people "safe out there" from manufacturing defects like the wiring recall issue, it still solves a known safety issue that can result in "the battens charred" due to overheating.

We are here to share knowledge and experience, this is how safety is promoted. We are invested into safety solutions and share our expertise gained in the process
Old 07-22-2022, 06:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj2001 View Post
Has this forum become a sales platform? Can I advertise something? What happened to the rules...or do they allow this?

I’d agree with you on this particular thread. While there is definitely value in discussing the product, and whether or not it’s of any value, the difference here is “Fridge Defend” is advertising his product every time he posts. Not only is his name an advertisement, but in his posts, he uses colored text to grab your eye, and includes links to the product in his signature.

I realize he buys ads here as well. Perhaps he should be charged additional ad fees every time he posts as long as he keeps the the product links in his signature.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:07 AM   #39

Official iRV2 Sponsor

how can you tell the amount of abuse -- Norcold Fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlongfellow View Post
Am now a believer in this, see photos. Our MH burned exactly because of this. Norcold with the recall added. Question for all, when buying older MH, as allot do, how can you tell the amount of abuse previous owners subjected their fridge to, ie running unlevel. How many times doing that before your buying a time bomb. Can assure you ours was never run off level as I had heard all the stories
Sorry you had this awful experience, I know you are helping by posting this photo. It is through experience we often learn safety.

My mother told me "you need to learn from other's experience so you do not make the same mistakes". Got to love your mother

I would like to do my best to share my knowledge regarding this question, thanks for asking:

"how can you tell the amount of abuse previous owners subjected their fridge to"

Because the damage is internal to the fridge, and there is no way to gauge this damage easily without destroying the fridge, one can only use a few clues that are given:
  • How is the fridge working? The damage manifests itself as poor cooling performance generally. But, here is a thread where the person installed a new cooling unit, and they had poor performance due to another issue, so this is not a singular method to determine damage to fridge:
    Dometic LP Cooling Issues
  • What is the boiler temperature? Damage to the fridge results in not only poor cooling, but the boiler temperature increases due to the change in chemistry within the cooling unit.

To elaborate on the boiler temperature rise due to an abused cooling unit:

Overheating of the boiler due to abuse destroys the corrosion inhibitor within the cooling unit. The change in chemistry due to the damage to the corrosion inhibitor puts nitrogen gas into the cooling unit, which in turn results in poor cooling. In addition, the deterioration of the corrosion inhibitor speeds up the ammonia attacking the cooling unit tubing. This results in poor cooling unit performance also.

Hope this helps answer your question, we are here to help folks understand the failure mechanisms that result in safety issues
Old 07-22-2022, 08:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Someone stated that this site is just a big infomercial.
Does anyone here not realize that this and other forums are not just being good friends?
Of course they are in it for the money and I am glad that this and other forums exist. l for one learn a lot here and appreciate this and other sites that I visit.
x2. It takes time and money to run and maintain these forums. And I enjoy hearing about solutions to RV issues...especially safety. If I don't have an interest, I can just skim right over it. Keep up the good work IRV2 Admins!
Old 07-22-2022, 08:54 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
For all of those posters who think that the site has become a big "infomercial" you can simply turn the "channel" to some other subject or website.

It's not like you are forced to read the thread.

Get a life!
Old 07-22-2022, 01:20 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Fisher View Post
For all of those posters who think that the site has become a big "infomercial" you can simply turn the "channel" to some other subject or website.

It's not like you are forced to read the thread.

Get a life!
Correct........

That means ALL RV fridge posts are out due to the excessive infomercials
Just like Medicare Commercials....can't get away from them
Closed Thread

Tags
fridge, roof, safety