Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2023, 03:42 PM   #1

fridge heating element glowing red hot

Our fridge quit working on electric last week so we switched over to propane while I waited for a new element to arrive from Amazon.

I installed the new element and switched over to electric. I checked on it a few hours later and the plastic insulation around the element wires was melted and the element itself was glowing red.

I switched back to gas and unplugged the fridge from AC.

This can't be normal, right? What could this possibly mean?
deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2023, 05:18 PM   #2

I just double-checked to make sure it is the correct wattage and it is correct - 325 watts, which is what the old one had printed on it as well as the new one.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:30 PM   #3

Hi Deprived; I am going to say you are correct! The heating element should not be glowing red hot. I am going here by theory not experience. Seems to me the heating element works almost the same as the heating element in an electric oven. Current supplied and a certain amount of resistance causes the element to get hot. Not sure you would find the specs for the heating element, but I would try to check the resistance on the element. Too much resistance would cause it to get real hot like you are experiencing. Would check the old element also. This is where I would start. After that I would check the input voltage to the element and go from there. As you mentioned, the element should not glow red.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:35 PM   #4

Can you measure resistance across the terminals with the wires disconnected? You should see about 44 ohms of resistance. It should also be drawing about 2.7 amps at 120 volts if you have a way to measure current.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Too much resistance would cause it to get real hot like you are experiencing. Would check the old element also.
Higher resistance in the element would allow less current to flow and it would run cooler and produce less heat, lower resistance would allow more current to flow and it will get hotter (up to a point before the circuit overloads). It is possible to have a high resistance connection heat up but in this case the element is glowing so we know the current is not being restricted.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 06:05 PM   #6

No it should NOT be glowing RED

Better responses if you would post Brand/model of fridge
*over the production run some brand/models changed components
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
No it should NOT be glowing RED

Better responses if you would post Brand/model of fridge
you are correct!

It is a Dometic DM2862 "Americana". I swapped out the cooling unit for a Dutch Aire a few years back and at the same time I switched the Dometic control board for a Dinosaur one.

Overall, the fridge has worked pretty much flawlessly. But then the 120v stopped working last week, thus the new element.

I'm hoping I just got a bad element from Amazon. Somewhere I have the old, old original element that was pulled (working) from the fridge when we did the upgrades.

But, you know, since I've never actually looked at the element when it is powered up, I wasn't sure if they should glow or what.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:17 AM   #8

I shop Amazon a bunch but know that there are a lot of items listed on it that aren't up to par. The aftermarket "compatible" items can sometimes be problematic. Even if the item is listed as genuine, it's still possible it could be counterfeit.

Even if the board is bad, the element should not glow ret hot. There's really nothing else that can cause this except for the element itself. I would clean up any burnt wiring/connectors and replace the element with one from JC.
Old 01-20-2023, 08:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just an observer here but why would a defrost heater prevent the unit from working on 120V? Or is it just the defrost cycle wasn't working? I've had thermostats and timers fail on residential fridges that stopped the defrost cycle but the fridge still got cold, until the evaporator coils choked up with ice.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:20 AM   #10

Dometic 3850644422 120VAC 325W 90* heater element
2.7A Draw 44 ohms

Used in numerous Dometic Fridge Models
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Just an observer here but why would a defrost heater prevent the unit from working on 120V?
Hey, Mark - a fellow New Mexican! We are in T or C.

The element that was glowing red hot was the actual boiler heating element.

Tags
element, fridge, heat, heating