Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #1

Fridge Problem At Altitude

I have a Dometic side X side with an ice maker. I just put a new Amish cooling unit in it in south TX 2 weeks ago. Have not used a thermometer since the repair and have been travelling and staying with friends so the fridge has been nearly empty and I wouldn't have noticed if it was not cold. The freezer has been working and making ice during this time.

Yesterday I arrived in Albuquerque, travelling over 7000' mountains and now parked at about 5100'. I bought a thermometer and my fridge temp seemed to stabilize at 50F after about 12 hours. I checked the freezer for a brief time and it read 30F...not sure if it was going lower when I moved the thermo back in the fridge side. Ambient air temps outside might have gotten to 65 but thats the max. Temps supposed to go to 70s then 80s in next several days.

I've run on gas and 110 and see no difference. I was using the mid #3 setting and moved it to high #5 and over time the temp dropped to 46F. A few years ago in Colorado I had problems at about 7500F in Los Alamos. A tech in Denver adjusted the "water columns" and told me it was too low. I spent another few days at high altitude and, some since, and have never had a problem.

I wonder if the tech who installed the Amish unit failed to make the correct water column setting and that is my problem. I've never used, or felt the need to run, a separate fan in the fridge and it's worked perfectly in 100+ temps.

I'm going to call a mobile repair service this morning. Anyone out there have any ideas.

Jim
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #2

Water columns refer to the pressure of the LP system. If the issue is present on 120V power as well, then it's not an LP issue.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #3

I know nothing about this so called the mfg of the cooling unit. They say my thermometer is suspect so I just went out and got a different kind and will see what that says in the morning. I have my fingers crossed and am about due for some good luck so we'll see.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #4

Feeling pretty stupid right now as my fridge seems to be cooling at about 39F. The cooling unit mfg suggested I try another thermometer and I did. Will feel very comfortable by morning when I check it again.

Jim
Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

Look on the cooling fins inside the refer box. There should be a small wire attached to one of them. That is the temp sensor, or Thermister. It should be near the middle of the fin. Moving it very slitely up or down will adjust your refers cooling function.

BTW Amish cooling units have a great reputation for better quality than factory Dometic cooling units.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

Thanks Don! Do you happen to know if UP is cooler and DOWN is warmer?

Jim
Old 04-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #7

Now my fridge temp is 39F so I'm relieved! Still curious about which way to move the thermister, up or down for slightly more cool.

Thanks for all you responses!

Jim
Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #8

Up colder down warmer move a little at a time
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #9

I've moved the thermister up about 1/2" and will see what that does. The previous cooling unit kept the temp at 30-32F.

Jim

Tags
fridge