RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #29

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Mike, I think it's just that they didn't want to spend the few dollars it would take to do it! It makes sense to me that if the cold-producing area (the fins) is at the top, then the temp there is gonna be colder that at the bottom. Yes, I know that cold air drops, but I think it can use a little help!

I just installed the FridgeFix fan bar in my fridge and haven't taken the time yet to check the temps at different levels, but I'm confident it will distribute the cold air more evenly!
Thank you. IRV2 member Mark gave a link for a Dometic fridge fan with a on off switch on ebay for around $16.00. It looked to be what a person would need( these refers are not very large ) ill let you know. $80.00 seemed a bit high and probably a bit big.
Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #30

yes it will help considerably
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
According to Fantastic Vent, makers of the Fantastic Fans a fan is more efficient when placed near the outlet vent so it pushes air out rather than near the inlet trying to push the air out from below.
That is also the recommended position in the installation manual for RV refrigerators.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Got 'er done!

Yesterday I did the installation of the fans at the top of the vent opening.
Hi Joe, I did the same mod to my coach today. Hopefully it'll solve the struggle the refer has when the temps get up there. How has yours worked out?

I did have another question for you - where did you wind up placing the temp sensor for the controller of the fans? Not sure where the best position for that would be.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Hi Joe, I did the same mod to my coach today. Hopefully it'll solve the struggle the refer has when the temps get up there. How has yours worked out?

I did have another question for you - where did you wind up placing the temp sensor for the controller of the fans? Not sure where the best position for that would be.

Carl, right now my fridge seems to be doing OK (knock on wood)! I ended up going back to the Norcold thermistor. I added the Fridge Fix fan bar mounted to the top of the fridge against the fins to circulate the air better, but it hasn't solved that problem. I think all the food is blocking the air. I am going to move it out as close to the door as possible. I believe it will do a better job there.

I just attached the temp sensor to the wiring a few inches below the fans.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Carl, right now my fridge seems to be doing OK (knock on wood)! I ended up going back to the Norcold thermistor. I added the Fridge Fix fan bar mounted to the top of the fridge against the fins to circulate the air better, but it hasn't solved that problem. I think all the food is blocking the air. I am going to move it out as close to the door as possible. I believe it will do a better job there.

Thanks Joe. I did the Fridge Fix fan bar mod as well, it seemed to make a big difference in getting the temp down faster after opening the door(s) and such. I leave those fans running constantly. I do keep things from blocking the air flow so you're right, you have to make sure there's some path for the air to flow in these things with that mod to get the best operation from it.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #35

Quote:

Hi Joe, any updates on the rooftop fans? I'm considering adding them (although I have a residential conversion) due to some high wall temps on that side of the RV in summer without the awning deployed. How noisy are the fans?

Thanks, Bruce
Old 01-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Hi Joe, any updates on the rooftop fans? I'm considering adding them (although I have a residential conversion) due to some high wall temps on that side of the RV in summer without the awning deployed. How noisy are the fans?

Thanks, Bruce
I can assert that the fans Joe and I bought are basically silent. They're meant for computers and are brushless lending to their quiet operation. When I was assembling it all inside the coach I turned on the fans and it's barely audible. And no, I don't have bad hearing
Old 01-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
I can assert that the fans Joe and I bought are basically silent. They're meant for computers and are brushless lending to their quiet operation. When I was assembling it all inside the coach I turned on the fans and it's barely audible. And no, I don't have bad hearing

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks, Bruce

I left the two original fans at the top of the coils in operation. I can still hear them, but didn't notice any additional noise when the top fans were added!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #39

Quote:
I left the two original fans at the top of the coils in operation. I can still hear them, but didn't notice any additional noise when the top fans were added!
and in cool weather you can reverse them to make the RV lighter on it's feet for improved mileage
Old 01-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
and in cool weather you can reverse them to make the RV lighter on it's feet for improved mileage

Now why didn't I think of that!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
UPDATE- I've been on the phone with Paul from Smart RV Products, who makes the ARP fridge protection device. I bought one of these back when they were first introduced but have not installed it. Pretty dumb huh! I called him to get his latest installation recommendations.

The latest devices now include fan control, which mine does not have. In our discussion I told him about installing the fans in the top vent and sealing the area around the plate so air would not be deflected by the vent cover back down the opening. He agreed that this would be good, EXCEPT if the fans quit working for some reason, maybe the heat sensor quits, then I would be severely restricting the natural air flow out the vent, thus causing the fridge to overheat. Of course, in that instance the ARP would shut it down, preventing damage, but if the fridge is full of food I might have a problem! And for those of you who have done this mod and do NOT have the ARP control, it could be a BIG problem!

He recommends installing fans on the inside of the access door at the bottom of the fridge, sucking air in the opening and forcing it past the coils and out the top. That would make it very easy to know if the fans are working properly without climbing up on top, and if they quit working you would probably still be getting enough air through the vents in the door to prevent overheating. He sells a fan to attach to the door, along with a thermal sensor that clamps to the fridge coils, that works with his latest ARP control. The thermal sensor is designed to only work with his control, but the fan could be used separate from the ARP with another snapdisc sensor.

I hate to undo what I've already done, and I know some of you have done this same mod, but I'm thinking that might be the best thing. What do you guys think? Below is his info on the fans.

RV Fridge Fan | Cooling Unit Fan | 12V RV Fridge Fan | RV Fridge Defrost
Old 05-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
UPDATE- I've been on the phone with Paul from Smart RV Products, who makes the ARP fridge protection device. I bought one of these back when they were first introduced but have not installed it. Pretty dumb huh! I called him to get his latest installation recommendations.

The latest devices now include fan control, which mine does not have. In our discussion I told him about installing the fans in the top vent and sealing the area around the plate so air would not be deflected by the vent cover back down the opening. He agreed that this would be good, EXCEPT if the fans quit working for some reason, maybe the heat sensor quits, then I would be severely restricting the natural air flow out the vent, thus causing the fridge to overheat. Of course, in that instance the ARP would shut it down, preventing damage, but if the fridge is full of food I might have a problem! And for those of you who have done this mod and do NOT have the ARP control, it could be a BIG problem!

He recommends installing fans on the inside of the access door at the bottom of the fridge, sucking air in the opening and forcing it past the coils and out the top. That would make it very easy to know if the fans are working properly without climbing up on top, and if they quit working you would probably still be getting enough air through the vents in the door to prevent overheating. He sells a fan to attach to the door, along with a thermal sensor that clamps to the fridge coils, that works with his latest ARP control. The thermal sensor is designed to only work with his control, but the fan could be used separate from the ARP with another snapdisc sensor.

I hate to undo what I've already done, and I know some of you have done this same mod, but I'm thinking that might be the best thing. What do you guys think? Below is his info on the fans.

RV Fridge Fan | Cooling Unit Fan | 12V RV Fridge Fan | RV Fridge Defrost
Thanks for the update Joe.

I've always had a fan in the bottom where the access door is. It blows towards the coils, sort of upwards. It's just a fan inside a cage kind of thing, nothing specific to the refrigerator for mounting. It was there when I bought the RV and runs non-stop.

I did the mod with the computer fans on top of the roof and didn't go through any efforts to block the natural airflow. Ever since I've done this mod, my refer has been working quite well. I've been in 85+ degree weather for a couple weeks and didn't run into problems, maintaining a temp of 33-36. Once in a while I'll see it go up to 40, especially while driving, but once I stop, things settle back down.

I also have the fans inside the refer to circulate the air. I've found those to be most helpful in cooling the unit back down after opening the door.

Good luck with your install! Looking forward to hearing more.

Tags
fan, fridge, vent