Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2020, 04:15 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Fridge water line split - uh oh

I've been working on prepping our new-to-us MH for our first big trip next week. We have a Frigidaire residential fridge with water filter, dispenser, and ice maker. I discovered that whenever I ran the water dispenser, water was leaking from the filter assembly. Upon further investigation I saw that the leak is in the hard line that is on the "out" side (right side in pic).

There is clearly a split in the plastic line at the elbow in the pic. Someone let it freeze.

So, to my question:

Are there ideas about how to wrap / waterproof / reseal that elbow split, or do I just need to hitch up my socks and plan on replacing that line?

Obviously replacement will require pulling the fridge out and accessing the back side of the unit to replace the line. Not a fun prospect, but if that's what it is, well, that's what it is.

Options?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3967.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	289054  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Get a piece of line, and also a double female connector elbow. If need be get a straight female to female connector if you feel the line is brittle going back a bit and want to replace it with a new piece. Home Depot/Lowes carries them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58547.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	289068  
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Get a piece of line, and also a double female connector elbow. If need be get a straight female to female connector if you feel the line is brittle going back a bit and want to replace it with a new piece. Home Depot/Lowes carries them.
Thanks! So just to clarify, do you believe the water line inside the fridge is the same size as the typical plastic external connection line? It seems those components are what are carried...
Old 06-10-2020, 07:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Just cut down below the split area and remove the piece to the water filter base. You should be able to push up on the blue portion to release the hose.

Take the piece to a big box store and they should be able to match, buy a fitting as in previous post and put back together.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Thanks! So just to clarify, do you believe the water line inside the fridge is the same size as the typical plastic external connection line? It seems those components are what are carried...
As the previous posted just stated, push up on the blue collar and at the same time pull out the tube. Take a piece with you to match the size female to female elbow connector you'll need as well as a bit of extra tubing.

Just a note, leave enough space between the elbow and the fridge connector in the even you need to remove the hose down the road.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:48 AM   #6

It sounds like good repair ideas. Hopefully they used standard size piping. If it is just an input water line it does not have to stay that short. You could put in extra line if there is room. I have another question. You mentioned maybe having to pull the fridge to replace the entire part. Is there access to the back of the fridge from outside? If so does it even have access to the correct area?
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:05 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Just wanted to follow up and say thanks to everyone. I was able to buy the required 5/16 line and a straight coupling at Home Depot. They did not have elbows in the right size, so I carefully heated the line with my heat gun and formed a gradual 90, just like the factory one.

First try wasn't quite tight enough and put some angled pressure on the fitting, which leaked. Second try was the charm and all seems well. I will probably monitor it for leaks for a while. Thankfully it is on the "out" side, so it only leaked when the water dispenser was actively dispensing.

I will be purchasing a "dummy" filter cartridge to allow me to properly winterize the system going forward.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Just wanted to follow up and say thanks to everyone. I was able to buy the required 5/16 line and a straight coupling at Home Depot. They did not have elbows in the right size, so I carefully heated the line with my heat gun and formed a gradual 90, just like the factory one.

First try wasn't quite tight enough and put some angled pressure on the fitting, which leaked. Second try was the charm and all seems well. I will probably monitor it for leaks for a while. Thankfully it is on the "out" side, so it only leaked when the water dispenser was actively dispensing.

I will be purchasing a "dummy" filter cartridge to allow me to properly winterize the system going forward.
Thanks so much for the follow up, glad to hear all is back to normal!

Tags
fridge, water