Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2007, 06:28 AM   #1

Does the refrigerator in a travel trailer require 30 amp service or will it run when plugged into a regular outlet? I am having trouble at the storage facility getting mine to work. The lights will work while it is plugged in, but the refrigerator light shows gas and flashes because I keep the propane valved out while in storage.
kodiak61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2007, 06:28 AM   #2

Does the refrigerator in a travel trailer require 30 amp service or will it run when plugged into a regular outlet? I am having trouble at the storage facility getting mine to work. The lights will work while it is plugged in, but the refrigerator light shows gas and flashes because I keep the propane valved out while in storage.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If all you want to run is the frig and some lights, a standard 15 amp home outlet should be fine. Make sure you do not have the water heater on electric as well.

Ken
Old 04-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #4

That's what I want... frig and lights. I just want the frig cold and ready when I pull it out. I will have to see what the amp rating is at the storage place. As for the water heater, you bring up a good question. I think mine is propane only... but I'm new at this and not sure!
Old 04-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #5

Well... this thing has a mind of its own!!! I went by today and turned the frig back on, and it is working on the electricity at the storage place. I went back tonight and it is still working. When I went to pick it up last weekend, the drinks in the frig were not cold, and the ice had melted. When I took it back last Sunday, it would not switch to electricity. I tried turning it off for a few minutes and then turning it back on several times that day, and it still would not work. Oh well, I'm glad to know it works right now.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:05 AM   #6

Darrell,it sounds like the frig is in auto mode and trying to come on with propane. When it does that and you have the the propane shut off the frig shuts down. Look on the control board and make sure you have it in the electric mode.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:31 AM   #7

I'll go by after church and check it, but if I remember correctly, the switch only has an auto and off position. So, I keep it in auto. After staying off all week, it stayed in auto with the green light on all of yesterday after I turned it on.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #8

Are you sure the outlet you are plugged into is powered 24/7? Perhaps someone is turning the outlet off with a light switch,ie: powered through a light switch. Your fridg should require <3A when operating on 120VAC.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote