Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2021, 03:05 PM   #1

Fuel Gauge

My fuel gauge on my Class A diesel will not work. Have replaced sender twice. Any suggestions?
wfseal39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Not sure which sender unit you have? I had the electronic Centroid one that had adjustment screws but they didn't work. It is a rod like device that measures resistance of the fuel inside the rod.

I changed to the manual float style and then spent some time calibrating it to the tank dimensions and the gauge itself. Now it is spot on accurate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/311048603947
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Float Sending Unit.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	328532  
Windward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you been driving this present coach for a while? If so, you’ve had the opportunity to keep fuel records and determine a pretty precise number for your mpg. All of which means you have at your disposal the means to quickly and easily determine just how much fuel you have remaining. Far more accurate than any gauge.
But it is nice to have a gauge you can rely on to at least give you reasonably consistent data.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:49 AM   #4

Can you give us more info? Like what mfr of gauge, how it works (resistance, electronic). Are you sure it works? Has it worked since you've owned it? When you replaced the sending unit where did you purchase the new one(s)?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:35 PM   #5

I have been keeping a log for several years. It works but is not convenient!
sealeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #6

Electronic Centroid, first one worked many years before stopping Replaced with a new one which worked about a year and then it quit. Retried old one; worked for a short while. Now it occasionally gives a reading but mostly shows empty. I gave up and use a log book.
sealeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #7

Mine is centriod resistance type there is capacitance as well. Sometimes you can pull them out and clean them they get fouled. I had poor connections on mine . I believe someone tried to calibrate it with bad staycon. Twisting one of trim pots newer ones don't have these. Centriod has troubleshooting and calibration instructions online.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel