Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

fuel pump relay?

installed new fuel sending unit & pump in my 1986 Beaver, new fuel pump is not working, i've looked at all the relays under the hood and none of them are labeled for the fuel pump. anyone have any idea where i might locate this relay. thanks in advance for any help.
The Beavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

Was the, not working ,the problem with the original ?
Can you access the wiring to check for power during to the first 20 seconds after ignition on; many electric pumps have a safety feature that will shut the pump down in 20 seconds if no oil pressure is detected.
Fuel pump and related wiring would be from the chassis manufacturer, is the coach on a Chev. or Workhorse Chassis?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

we are on a p30 chasis. when i bought the beav it was not pulling fuel from the fuel tank, it was disconnected. we disconnected fuel line from fuel filter to the engine, stuck that line in a auxillary fuel tank and drove it home. i've dropped the tank, por 15'd the tank and had the sending unit restored by tristar radiators. installed a new electric fuel pump in tank and thats where im at. my mistake on not testing new pump before I put it in tank and put 12 gallons of fuel in it. the wires can be accessed by dropping tank back down. the fuel guage works so i assumed the pump would work as well. im not that electrically inclined
Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

I'm assuming some stuff here , I've never worked on a P30 chassis, but here goes. Was the connector to the fuel pump module , a 4 wire connector ? If so there should be wires of 2 different sizes, 2 heavy wires for pump power and ground, 2 smaller for gauge power and ground. Follow the wiring from the top of the tank , back to the main wiring harness on the frame , is there another connector there ? If so disconnect the connector and test for 12v power ( in the first 20 sec. from key on ) from the main harness , and check for resistance to ground , should be zero ohms. I think we can really go out on a limb and figure that if the old pump didn't work and the new pump isn't working , that the problem isn't the pump. So if there is no connector at the frame , I wouldn't drop the tank yet. If you have a relay diagram , that tells what the relays you can see are, see if you have more than one labeled ignition, you had the coach running so if you only have one ignition relay it should be the one that supplied power to run the engine, if you have a second then one of the two could be your problem. When the engine was running did the oil pressure gauge work ? Like I said ECM wants to see oil pressure to keep the fuel pump running. Some times the oil pressure sending unit will have multiple functions , and control the fuel pump independent of the ECM, find the oil pressure sending unit and see if it has 3 wires, 1 wire would control the gauge, the others would be power in and out to the pump.
So you may just have a sensor problem. Also check every fuse you can find with a voltmeter , both sides , a fuse may look good and still not pass power. Guess I should have said that first. I'll scratch my head and check back later.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #5

i did forget to mention that the tank & sending unit/fuel pump assembly in the tank was completed rusted so i assumed that is why it didn't work. also the previous owner just parked in it and lived in it. so it didn't drive a whole lot. but on a good note i did drive it 47 miles from where i bought it to my house so it runs & drives. by the way thanks for taking the time to try to help out a newbie
Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

That's why we're here.
Haven't thought of anything else yet.

Tags
fuel