Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Furnace Air Filters

Do they use them in motorhomes? Does mine have one? If so, how do I change it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
There are not normally furnace filters on RV LP furnaces, but my coach does have a standard "furnace" filter on the basement heat pump. I'm guessing you have roof top ac units that may also be heat pumps. If so, perhaps someone with a similar Fleetwood unit can assist.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Well, if/since my forced air furnace does not have a filter, I should probably figure out a way to access the burner box to blow out all the dirt that must surely by in there on the 17yr old unit.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
When my parents were having trouble with thier furnace, one of the things to look for was a restriction in the duct work. Well there was no restriction but there was a lot of dust & dirt. We removed the floor vents & stuck the vaccunm end of a shop vac in there to clean it out. It took a little effort but it did a good job. May work for you.

My understanding is there should be no return filter on the rv propane furnace. This may not hold true for all furnaces, I don't know for sure.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #5

Not sure exactly what model you have but my American Eagle certainly does have a return filter. It is accessed by a horizontally hinged door below the stove at floor level. It looks like a regular, storage cabinet door but inside there is a 20x16x1 stick house type filter. The obvious identifier is a brass grate built into that door. It is a common size as I have no trouble finding replacements wherever I happen to be. I replace this filter much more often than in my primary home. Seems to get gunked up really fast. Over just one winter with occasional use; I've R&R'd twice and will again soon.

Even with the filter; I shopvac the burner boxes occasionally. Can't hurt and I have an infant with me most times so I try to keep everything as dust free as possible.

Sam
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
Well, if/since my forced air furnace does not have a filter, I should probably figure out a way to access the burner box to blow out all the dirt that must surely by in there on the 17yr old unit.
my atwood furnace does not have a filter.
however each end of season i remove the access plates outside and remove the blower fan half case and clean the blower wheel
check gas lines for leaks and clean the HOT sections best i can without removing the entire unit
i also vacuum the air intake tract and the mother board

inside all vents registers are popped up and we vacuum the entire run of venting

with two large dogs the inside part gets done once a month
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
You do NOT have a filter and it's recommended that you don't put one in. You should have the same SF35 furnace that I have.... like someone else said.. take the grill off and vacuum it out... also take the outside cover off... you have to pull straight out once the 4 screws are out... the exhaust tube slides over another inner tube and sometimes you have to twist a little while pulling to get it off.

This is what it looks like on the outside:

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #8

I've been using Filtrete brand filter material (made for A-frame filters) on my cold air return, and the cut-to-size floor register filters for 5 years now. The furnace seems to operate normally and the interior air is much cleaner. DW doesn't have to dust nearly as often, and my asthma doesn't bother me as much.
Shhh, don't tell my furnace it isn't supposed to work.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I was thinking about fabricating a mount system to hold a filter to the backside of the grill that is located below the stove. I'm sure that is where the air gets into the heater.

Yes, there sure is alot of dust on the horizontal surfaces around the home.