Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

Furnace blowing cold air

Hi there

We have a 2000 coachman sports coach
Here is what I know and have done.
I have reset it by turning off the power and then turning it back on
It blows cold air

Obviously it's the pilot light not igniting. So being that this is an auto mechanism is there anything else I can do

Now I only cut the power to it from the access panel the switch to the motor.
Is it worth trying to find the right breaker and kill it there as well.

No matter what we do it's cold. And it's going down to 18 degrees tonight
And to top it off one of our outlet banks keeps griping so we can only run one small space heater while the generator is running.

Thx for any insights thoughts or ideas

Sam
illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #2

Hi Sam how about some more info. Was it working and quit or is this the first time out this season? What kind of furnace? Can you hear a clicking sound right after you reset it?
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We really need more information like brand of furnace. My first guess if I was troubleshooting it would be to check the sail switch since the blower kicks on since that more or less shows the thermostat is working. Here are some basic troubleshooting ideas http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #4

Txt guys

Well it has been running almost non stop for 4 months. finally got some warm weather as we entered Kentucky. So we shut it off. That was yesterday.
Now today in ohio and it won't go on. Just blows cold air.
Now it is raining and wet and cold. Right now it has switched over to snow and going down to 18 degrees.

It's an Atwood furnace. While in Montana 2 months ago we replaced the fan as the bearings were shot.
But this is the first time in 5 months that it won't heat up. Just cold air blowing

It has a self igniter so I can light the flame myself.
I'm wondering is some how water got in there or if that is even possible.

I'm at a loss and my kid and I are cold. Ugh.

Snuggling up in the back bedroom tonight leaving the generator on all night so we can run the small space heater. We should be fine.

Just driving me crazy that this night it would do this to me. But hey isn't that the way it usually goes!

Thx
Sam
Old 03-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #5

Good morning Sam.
Did your furnace ever start working? If you were traveling on the rain it is posable that it got some water in it. The control board would be the most vulnerable also might try cleaning wire connections.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #6

Nope still not working. The main cabin was 32 degrees when we woke up. Fortionatly the small space heater kept my bedroom warm enough so we were ok but boy opening the door to the main cabin was sooooooo cold.

Trying to find some place to look at it tomorrow morning. That's the only time I have.

Thx
Sam
Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 AM   #7

Ok I now know that it is indeed the pilot light or the fact the flame won't stay on
I feel heat out the exhaust but only for a few seconds then it goes cold and back and forth.
That tgls me the flame won't stay on

Yes we have propane

So wondering if it just needs to be cleaned up. But I know nothing of how to do that or what's involved

Still trying to find some place in Columbus Ohio that can help us

Sam
Old 03-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

Probably not it but one thing you might want to do is try shutting off the propane with the tank valve then slowly reopening it just in case the excess flow pop off has closed up on you. I've seen them close for no apparent reason and it take very little effort to try!

Good luck!
Thebaldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How much propane do you have?
If it is too low the propane can't vaporise fast enough to keep up with the furnace requirements. I have seen this happen when the outside temp was only in the 20s. The first time it happened it faked me out because the water heater and stove burners would light.

Propane boiling point is well below zero (minus 49F) but the vaporization rate goes down a lot even in the 20s/30s.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #10

Turning valve off did not work
And we have plenty of propane. Just under half a tank. I have had it running with less then a quarter tank with temps as low as neg35. Yes negative 35.

It kicks on for a moment but won't stay lit. So it either needs a cleaning or something wrong with the line with the propane running thru to be vapored.

Have an appointment for tomorrow morning and will find hotel for tonight. Just too stinkin cold. Don't want to run the generator all night again with 2 space heaters.

Thx for the suggestions

Sam
Old 03-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
More than likely it's the sail switch or gap in the ignitor. The sail switch has a spring loaded paddle that must be pushed by the air flow provided by the fan. It prevents gas flow if the fan isn't moving air. It can get hung up by dust and dirt. The ignitor is two wires with a gap between them. If the gap is wrong, a spark won't be produced and ignite the gas. In addition to those two common problems, there's a heat sensor that shuts gas down if a flame isn't detected in a short interval. Sadly, most all these items probably require removal of the furnace to access the possible faulty items.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #12

turns our the board was bad. they replaced it and we had heat. the bummer is about an hour later the heat was blowing cold again. we called and were able to get back to them and they said that it was just a fluke that the board they put in was bad as well. they put in another board and we are good to go.

heat is just fine now. woo hoo. of course its also now 60 degrees out here in Ohio LOL
but supposed to dip into the low 30s at night.

but were at a really really nice rv park here in dundee ohio so running our space heaters instead. saving that propane

thanks for all the suggestions.
it was about $300 for the new board and install. ugh but at least i have heat now.

sam
Old 03-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is igniting and then the flame goes out, more than likely it is the flame sensor. The flame sensor on some models is integral with the ignitor. It could be a bad sensor or ignitor or a bad circuit board.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace