Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

Furnace Heat Pump just quit

While prepping for colder weather I decided to run the furnace for a few moments. I also attempted to start heat pump. Unit ran for about three seconds and shut down. Thermostat went blank. I jiggled fuse at control and got power back but no response from either furnace or heat pump. I have checked circuit breaker, fuse, LP. It is a Suburban system. Any ideas? Thanks
sixkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What's the outside temperature? When it gets down to 40° or so most quit and switch over to the furnace.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #3

Furnace Heat Pump just quit

Heap pump runs on 110, either via battery/inverter or pedestal A/C. Furnace runs on DC. Do you have all other power running okay, lights on DC and 110 for TV?
If so, there may be a thermostat reset function. Check your manuals.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:05 AM   #4

Suburban 30 SF. 2002 Winnie. Temps were in the 30's at the time. Shore power on. Batteries great. I had used the furnace earlier in the week. I decided to test the heat pump and slid control switch to electric. The pump started for just a second or two then quit. Thermostat went blank. I have jiggled the 2amp fuse at thermo and replaced fuse in house circuit as well as flipped AC breaker. The fan will not come on either. I fired up the cooktop and it ran blue. I cannot test water heater as I have bypassed it and pinked everything else. At some point I will give it an audio test with DW.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:11 AM   #5

Propane furnaces have a lock out feature that requires the thermostat to not call for heat momentarily, however, if there is no power to the thermostat the furnace will not operate.

Outside temperatures in the thirties will cause the heat pump to lock out also.
kkeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #6

How do I overide lockout?
Old 01-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
BOTH the lp furnace and the heat pump require 12v power at the t-stat to operate. Sounds like a t- stat problem. As you found, there is a fuse in the stat. If nothing else, the stat itself can be bad. I had to replace mine.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #8

Thermostat (Coleman Comfort Mach series) shows house temp but once doesn't respond to even Fan on slide. How would I check inverter? Thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixkilo View Post
How do I overide lockout?
I don't think you can override the heat pump's temperature lockout, and I don't think you want to. There is not enough heat in 30 degree outside air for the heat pump to work.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Check inverter for what? It takes in 12v and puts out 120v. T-stat runs on 12v, and sends calls for heat/cooling via 12v. The heat pump requires 120v shore power to operate. It will not run on inverter, not even the blower. The lp furnace is powered by 12v. If the t-stat won't attempt to start the lp furnace, either the t-stat is faulty or there is a problem at the furnace control board.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #11

I had read on various threads about the converter/inverter not giving enough juice to furnace. Apparently there also can be a relationship to the propane regulator as well. So I am trying to cover all the bases.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #12

Slide switch to cool, and see if basement unit comes on.

When you put switch to gas heat, wiggle it a little to see if lp furnace will come on.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Slide switch to cool, and see if basement unit comes on.

When you put switch to gas heat, wiggle it a little to see if lp furnace will come on.
+1 on this. The slider switch is a weak point in the thermostats.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #14

I did just as you both suggested. Yes AC fan runs now as well as fan but not blower. I checked cleanliness of furnace and found no debris. Jiggled the sail and wiring etc. I will go get a clampon amp meter today. Meanwhile, I disassembled the thermo slide switch inadvertently(ie: it came apart as I was examining it)!! I got it back together but there is quite a bit of wear on the circuit tabs. While I was deciding what to do next the furnace came on and ran for a couple of minutes then shut down. It was late and cold outside so I am waiting for temps to improve(chortle,chortle) at which time I will employ the amp meter. Thanks everyone.

Tags
ace, furnace, heat, heat pump