Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2021, 11:52 PM   #1

Furnace not working

My front furnace quit working. I can hear the thermostat click to request for heat but the furnace does not do anything. The rear furnace works. So I dont think it is the thermostat. I measured 12.5 volts at the Red wire on the furnace and also I verified that it has 12V at the switch (it only had 12v on one terminal of the switch when in off position and 12V on both when on). The LED on the circuit board does not light, and blower does not function . Normally I hear the blower first before I hear the ignition fires up. Is it safe to assume that the circuit board is bad? Is there any other things I can check before I order a circuit board? ( I have checked that there is no obstruction in the exhaust. Thank is advance
sun47me1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2021, 12:24 AM   #2

Could you add the furnace manufacturer and model to your post .

Most RV parts and repair shops will have equipment to test the board ; if you take the board in .
Old 03-09-2021, 06:03 AM   #3

You could see if there is voltage at the blower itself and if the squirrel cage turns freely. Also see if the blower works when powered directly.
I would suggest downloading the service manuals for your appliances directly from the manufacturers website. They all have troubleshooting guides that you can follow step by step.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #4

I have a winnie site seer and the furnace quit working in the middle of the night on my last trip. I have a Suburban m/n sf30 furnace and like you the thermostat clicks but the fan never comes on. (I can faintly hear something click in the furnace area a second or two after the thermosat clicks) I like you am searching for answers. I replaced the thermostat and the modular board and have the same results still. The blower works . I removed the furnace and checked the various switches and they all seem to test ok with an ohm meter as to whether they are open or closed. I will keep checking here to see if any answers should come your way.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun47me1208 View Post
My front furnace quit working. I can hear the thermostat click to request for heat but the furnace does not do anything. The rear furnace works. So I dont think it is the thermostat. I measured 12.5 volts at the Red wire on the furnace and also I verified that it has 12V at the switch (it only had 12v on one terminal of the switch when in off position and 12V on both when on). The LED on the circuit board does not light, and blower does not function . Normally I hear the blower first before I hear the ignition fires up. Is it safe to assume that the circuit board is bad? Is there any other things I can check before I order a circuit board? ( I have checked that there is no obstruction in the exhaust. Thank is advance
12VDC to/thru that switch which is the On/Off Circuit Breaker Switch
DC from that switch goes to the Power Circuit on the circuit board which will send DC to motor via Blower Circuit WHEN DC from thermostat comes back to circuit board
(typically BLUE wire at the multi-pin connector on circuit board)
So if you have DC from Thermostat to circuit board then Circuit Board is Issue

***Not knowing WHICH Brand/Model of furnace or year
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #6

Sorry for the late reply, The commander has me running around. The manufacturer it Atwood Mobile Products. Model 8526-IV DCLP. The squrrel cage is free to spin. I will measure the blue line maybe tomorrow if commander does not have a place to go.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
This is the best quick troubleshooting guide I have seen.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #8

Wiring Diagram for that 8525-IV

RED 12VDC+ from Fused source>>>>On/Off CB AND Back to Thermostat (Blue 12VDC+)
***Red goes to PWR on circuit board

When thermostat CLOSES 12VDC+ comes back from thermostat>>>>Sail Switch AND to Circuit Board at the multi-pin connector (White wire/Blue wire/Red Wire/Yellow wire)
When the Circuit board gets that 12VDC+ from thermostat it sends 12VDC+ to motor (BLW)

No Red Light on circuit board doesn't mean anything
Red Light is an ERROR Code
RED SOLID.........Internal Fault (Bad board)
Red 1x flashing ...Limit Switch/Airflow
Red 2x flashing ...Flame Sense Fault
Red 3x flashing ...Ignition Lockout

Your issue is 12VDC+ going to/coming from circuit board
Old 03-10-2021, 03:15 PM   #9

Thanks Old Biscuit. The commander has places to go and I have decided tohave it looked at when we get back to MI. The rear heater works so she is not really concerned. Thanks you to all who answered my posting

sun47me1208
2014 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2019 GMC Canyon SLT
Old 03-11-2021, 07:43 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just replaced the sail micro-switch inside the blower housing on the same furnace. Tested ok for continuity but would not take current (amps). Of course it went out on the coldest day this winter. The high temp cutoff switch could be bad or the circuit board. Try the sail switch first, cheapest and easiest to replace. Bought mine on Ebay. Just search Mfgr, model # and sail switch.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Just replaced the sail micro-switch inside the blower housing on the same furnace. Tested ok for continuity but would not take current (amps). Of course it went out on the coldest day this winter. The high temp cutoff switch could be bad or the circuit board. Try the sail switch first, cheapest and easiest to replace. Bought mine on Ebay. Just search Mfgr, model # and sail switch.
Furnace Fan will run even with bad sail switch or limit switch
**Sail Switch must show open or circuit board will not allow anything to function

Maybe OP will update post if he found/fixed the issue
Old 03-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun47me1208 View Post
Old biscuit gave me the info needed to check out my problem but still after checking everything i had the same problem. I had already replaced the circuit board. still had same problem. I replaced the thermostat and still had same problem! I checked all switches with an ohmmeter and they tested good. I followed advice of shorting the two blue wires to mock a thermostat telling the blower to come on. While I had the circuit board in my hands and getting ready to check my voltage to the board my fan started blowing! Turns out that the modular connector that connects to the circuit board had a loose connection and when I tested voltage I checked at the modular connector not knowing that it was an intermittent connection to the board itself. I was able to adjust the connector so it was a tighter fit and all was ok. I even put the old board back but still had my original problem again proving the board was bad and also a bad connection. I put the new board back in and all has tested fine since. Sorry to be so long winded and so long to respond. I am not real computer literate and am not even sure at this time that I am posting this in the right -place. Hope you solved your problem by now also. These people people on this IRV2 site are so great in helping as much as they do. Thanks to all who responded.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace