Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 01:04 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Furnace problems. I don’t know what else to replace to get it fired up.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Chieft...1-9dd42480b65f <——— photo of suburban furnace.
I replaced the limit switch and electrode and when I get the ticking noise I used to be able to see the electric spark happening on the left side through the little circle window but even after replacing the things I mentioned i still get no sparks. It might do it one time the entire clicking session but that’s it. Can I remove the glass window and stick a candle lighter in there to ignite it? Anyone done this before? I gave up on this thing last season and would like to get it fired up for this upcoming cold season. Also the fan sounds like it’s hitting something every time it comes around.
Chieftain27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 05:16 AM   #2

Go to the Wanderlodge owners group site. Then do a search on suburban furnace. there is a whole thread on how to troubleshoot them.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

Ticking with no spark, correct?

First, be sure the igniter probe is clean as well as the metal piece to which the spark is to ground, usually the burner. Remove all soot/rust from both. Second, set the gap between the probe and ground to ~1/8".

If the above does not produce a regular spark, try replacing the igniter module.

I would not suggest you stick a lighted candle into the furnace. Perhaps a butane lighter with a long "nose", but only if you have someone else turn ON the furnace so the flame is already present from the lighter before the gas valve opens. In other words, you create a manual "pilot light".
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #4

That looks like an NT series furnace
Service Manual...see section C items 8 - 12
http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...ice-Manual.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:59 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post

I would not suggest you stick a lighted candle into the furnace. Perhaps a butane lighter with a long "nose", but only if you have someone else turn ON the furnace so the flame is already present from the lighter before the gas valve opens. In other words, you create a manual "pilot light".
LOL! He didn't say a lit candle, he said a candle lighter, exactly the same thing you described.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
LOL! He didn't say a lit candle, he said a candle lighter, exactly the same thing you described.
Well, that's what I get for reading too fast! Never heard of them by that reference though.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:29 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post

First, be sure the igniter probe is clean as well as the metal piece to which the spark is to ground, usually the burner. Remove all soot/rust from both. Second, set the gap between the probe and ground to ~1/8".

If the above does not produce a regular spark, try replacing the igniter module.

I replaced the igniter module and checked gap and have spark now but no fire! Hmmm
Old 09-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #8

Guess it isn't an NT series?????
Old 09-30-2020, 08:47 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Guess it isn't an NT series?????
It’s a NT34S. I have spark but no ignition now...
Old 09-30-2020, 09:02 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I may not have read everything but in the original post you also mention that the fan seems to be hitting something. Is that still and issue. Also what did you do prior to finally getting the ignitor to spark. So now it an issue of no gas. If so I think it is time to take it our and do some work on it on a bench. lightly tapping on the regulator and switch might help with the gas flow. Normally on start up the fan will come on first then the ignition followed by heating the thermocouple to keep the flame going until thermostat tell is to stop.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftain27 View Post
It’s a NT34S. I have spark but no ignition now...
Did you check out the troubleshooting in the manual link?
Old 09-30-2020, 09:13 PM   #12

Purchase this tuneup kit
https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...4s-tune-up-kit
Furnace that age should have a tuneup kit installed.
Just make sure that heat exchanger does NOT have any rusted out holes in it! If it does please dont use it.
If you do indeed open it up the fan(s) "might" be rubbing on a shroud. Also the burner "might" be rusted out" If the limit switch is not functioning it won't turn on the gas valve.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:05 AM   #13

You need to pull the furnace and give it a good tune-up. I have experienced two issues with this furnace.

If the fan motor starts and then 20 seconds later you hear one click or clunk, that is the gas valve energizing. If you don't get a spark at that time, replace the circuit board. It sounds like your circuit board is intermittent.

If you get the gas valve energizing and a spark but no ignition. you need to clean out the LP orifice. If it has not worked for the past year or so, it probably has a bug stuck inside the orifice.
A1RVTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftain27 View Post
Follow old-biscuit's advice, he knows RV appliances.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, ems, fire, furnace, problem, problems, replace