Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #1

Fuse for electrical outlet?

Is there a fuse for electrical outlets? I could not find info in the coach manual listing one, and I have not yet gone out to the fuse boxes to look at those diagrams.

Last night we checked into a new CG and the following electrical outlets did not work - 1) the front overhead cabinet - TV, VCR etc.,2) the outlets by the passenger seat feet and behind the passenger seat, 3) bathroom sink outlet and 4) the outlet behind the stove and sink (roadside). The outlets in the dining area (curbside) and bedroom (both on roadside and curbside) work fine. The outlet at the passenger seat has that outlet (I guess it's called) where we plug in the dish cord "thingy" that changes it from 12v to 110 (am I correct in that?) anyway - that one works fine.

Everything worked fine when we left the previous CG. The only three theories we came up with is 1) there is such a fuse and it was just time for it to go 2) the elec hook up at this site somehow blew the fuse 3) maybe we didn't turn TV off before disconnecting at previous CG and that caused a fuse to blow when we hooked up the dish here.

DH connected the elec cord to the 50 amp here at this CG, I switched it to the 30 amp, thinking maybe something didn't work right with the 50 amp plug-in. This CG is one of those little old CG from previous era, kind of a Twilight Zone feeling. Pretty area (Pyramid Lake CG near Santa Clarita CA), but certainly isn't a plush CG. And the kind that makes you wonder who are these few permanent residents here. That of course has nothing to do with the elec problem. Just an idle observation of CG vibe

We re-routed the cords via extension cords so DH wouldn't miss Thursday night football. (whew) We are leaving here momentarily for another CG - I don't suppose there will be a miraculous healing of outlets..... so in case of miracle failure I am seeking advice..

Thanks in advance -----
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #2

First find your control box and reset all breakers. (push all the way to the left then back right).Next check the fuses on the 12 volt side. Check all the plugs for the GFIC button. Reset all the plugs with GFIC even if they do not seem tripped. That should cover the common problems. If the CG power surged you may have a damaged converter
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #3

Did you crank gen to see if everything works? Maybe one of the 110 legs aren't working reset the breaker on the power pole.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
paz

Trackman suggested resetting all the GFCI receptacles. Since you mentioned outlets in the kitchen and bathroom that also don't work, a tripped or faulty GFCI is highly possible.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Could also be the RV park causing it.
I pulled into an RV park and plugged in and the GFIC tripped. It would not reset.
The GFIC worked after that at all the other RV parks we stopped at and when plugged in at home.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I too would first suspect the GFI has tripped and needs to be reset. Second guess would be that you've lost one leg of your 50 amp service.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Community Administrator

I'll third the GFI. Please let us know when you can.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I'll third the GFI. Please let us know when you can.
Just to let you folks know, I haven't checked anything yet. We visited cousins this weekend and dry camped at the AAA office next to their house for one night - with their permission. We ran the gen and the outlets did not work. It has been so hot here (southern Cal) I'm not interested in fiddling with it during the day, and too lazy in the evening. Plus the storage units are full of work stuff right now, so I would have to drag some bins out of the way, another thing I don't want to do in the heat of day. And I don't want to shut everything down when we are trying to keep it cool. Mostly I'm not ready to tackle it I guess. I have however been doing some educational research (GFIC etc).

I do have another question - the only GFIC I see is on the outlet that is working. Are there GFIC's in more hidden places? I didn't think so. But then I'm a rookie at this stuff. And by the way thanks again to all of you who let me ask my questions and don't - (at least on this site ) make me feel like a ninny! Every single day it seems there is another RV mountain to conquer.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierdee View Post

I do have another question - the only GFIC I see is on the outlet that is working. Are there GFIC's in more hidden places? I didn't think so. But then I'm a rookie at this stuff.
Sometimes there are. Take a look around for outlets in areas which might be exposed to dampness. Bath, kitchen, and certainly outside in a storage bay or maybe near your generator.

It was only a couple of years ago that I very nearly had an electrician come out to my stick house for what would have been a very embarrassing service call. I had sever outlets not working but checked the two GFCIs I could find and they were fine.

I don't know what made me do it but I lowered the lid to my roll away tool box in the garage and there was the tripped outlet hidden behind the lid. I hadn't closed that lid in years and had forgotten there was even an outlet behind it. My dad was living with us at the time and I never would have lived that one down.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
All 120v outlets will be protected by GFI outlets. Each GFI outlet protects more than one outlet without the GFI reset button. My 1995 Bounder has 3 separate GFI outlets that protect all outlets in three separate zones of the motorhome.
Dwight
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have you checked your 120 circuit breakers in your electrical panel. My panel is behind a door above the refrigerator.
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s MotorHoming since 1952
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #12

sounds like the breakers in the inverter may have poped. You may have a 30 amp breaker feeding the inverter and two 15 amp breakers on the inverter like my coach. Some may have a seperate panel for inverter fed curcuits but yours being a 2000, I think the breakers are on your inverter. the curcuits are still protected by the breakers in your inverter even with the inverter off and hooked to shore power. I had similar problems untell I found the breakers on my inverter
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #13

Okay I am again grateful and embarrassed. I did another look around and lo and behold the bathroom sink outlet had a GFIC. I pushed it and now everything works. I am surprised that the outlet in the bath area affects the elec in the front of the coach. But whatever - the system works. Thank you all again. And even though I didn't need all the suggestions made here, I am going to locate and familiarize myself with the control board, fuses, etc. I am learning one thing at a time. On the happy husband front - he is happy and impressed with how you folks help me. He is interested in recipes, sports and how to make money - not a bad combination. I like puzzles - and machines and bodies (just another machine right?) are full of puzzles. Thanks again - happy happy football Sunday to you all.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update. Glad you found it

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, fuse