Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2014, 04:04 AM   #1

Gas / Elect Fridge Mod

Recently we had our coach in for some service and I was telling the tech. that we had never been happy with the way the fridge worked and was considering putting in a residential fridge. Our complaint on the fridge was that it would get cold enough, but once the door was opened, it would take a day or more for it to cool down again. Very long recovery time. And yes my DW does tend to over load the fridge.
The tech said he had a fix and I told him to go for it. The tech went up on the roof and took off the vent cover over the fridge. We all ready had fans behind the fridge blowing up towards the roof over the fridge coils. The fridge has an empty space above it on up to the bottom side of the roof. The tech filled this empty space with insulation. He then put a barrier from the back top of the fridge up to the roof vent to hold the insulation in place. Basically what he did was create a tunnel effect for the air to flow over the fridge coils.
This has been one of the best mods ever!!!! Prior to this the fridge would get up to 50 degrees and take a long time (day or more) to cool back down to the mid to high 30's. Now, we have not seen the inside temp go over 40 and with in a couple of hours the temp is back down to the mid 20's. The freezer is staying at zero or below. The ice maker is making ice a lot quicker.
We happen to have a Dometic model DM2852 and it hasn't worked this good since it was brand new. The tech said his fix will work on any Norcold or Dometic that has the empty space above it. He also said the addition of fans (which we have) behind the fridge is a great addition because it will give the fridge the ventilation it needs to operate.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #2

So the insulation is on top of the freezer if I'm understanding this correctly?
Old 08-08-2014, 04:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
So the insulation is on top of the freezer if I'm understanding this correctly?
Actually, yes it is. From the top of the unit to the bottom of the roof is filled with insulation. The tech said this area being right below the roof retains a lot of heat especially here in Florida.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #4

Thanks Roger, I thought I was following you correctly just wanted to make sure. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #5

Glad it's working, but this isn't a mod. This is actual installation instructions for baffling.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Glad it's working, but this isn't a mod. This is actual installation instructions for baffling.
I would think a modification is when one changes the way something works or something you add to make something work better. If it was actual installation instruction it would have been done at the factory when the fridge was installed.
Thats just my opinion, you got yours.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OSP1268

That sounds like a great mod/change/idea/ the common fix was to add fans. You have brought something new to the table. Did he just remove the vent cover, or the vent base also, to accomplish the insulation addition?
Old 08-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
I would think a modification is when one changes the way something works or something you add to make something work better. If it was actual installation instruction it would have been done at the factory when the fridge was installed.
Thats just my opinion, you got yours.
You'd think so, huh. There are so many occasions that the mfg did not do it right. Or they planned to and didn't.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
OSP1268

That sounds like a great mod/change/idea/ the common fix was to add fans. You have brought something new to the table. Did he just remove the vent cover, or the vent base also, to accomplish the insulation addition?
Don't know I wasn't on the roof with him.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #10

So many of the unit are installed incorrectly from the builder it ridiculous!
They leave way to much room behind the fridge that the chimney effect doesn't work. Thus no cooling!

Tags
fridge, gas