Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas Leak Detector alarm triggers when equalizing batteries!

I have a CCI Controls, Model 7770 Gas Leak Detector installed in my Itasca motorhome. While plugged into 50A ground power, my CCI alarm will trigger when my batteries are being equalized via my invertor. I noticed that the operating range of the Detector is between 9 Vdc to 16 Vdc. During the equalization process, my battery DC voltage peaks out at 15.5 volts after approximately 30 minutes. I would normally let the inverter complete the automatic 4 hour cycle, however the only way I can stop the detector alarm permanently is to stop the equalization process.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Doesn't it have a off/reset switch?
Turn it off.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #3

It could well be the gas detector has gone bad. Mine kept going off without reason. First I thought it was the battery compartment, then the frig, or even outside fumes. When it started beeping without possible cause I posted on this site and found that others had the same problem. For my Winnebago, I called Lichtsinn, and their tech told me it was common for the sensor to go out after 4 or 5 years, my unit was no longer made, but a plug and play replacement was on the shelf. Simple replacement and no problem since. Hope your solution is this easy.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Detector Alarm triggers when equalizing batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
It could well be the gas detector has gone bad. Mine kept going off without reason. First I thought it was the battery compartment, then the frig, or even outside fumes. When it started beeping without possible cause I posted on this site and found that others had the same problem. For my Winnebago, I called Lichtsinn, and their tech told me it was common for the sensor to go out after 4 or 5 years, my unit was no longer made, but a plug and play replacement was on the shelf. Simple replacement and no problem since. Hope your solution is this easy.
Happy Trails.
Knightly (Quote) It works fine except when I equalize. I think it is an electrical clitch rather then sensor but I guess I'll check with the manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Doesn't it have a off/reset switch?

Turn it off.
Knightly (Quote) Yes, I reset it three times but it would re-trigger the alarm each time. Once the voltage dropped to normal after stopping the equalization sequence, the Detector worked fine.

Thanks for the suggestions, Knightly
Old 06-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Wonder if the sensor is working correctly and it is being triggered off the gases given off by the battery during equalization.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post
I have a CCI Controls, Model 7770 Gas Leak Detector installed in my Itasca motorhome. While plugged into 50A ground power, my CCI alarm will trigger when my batteries are being equalized via my invertor. I noticed that the operating range of the Detector is between 9 Vdc to 16 Vdc. During the equalization process, my battery DC voltage peaks out at 15.5 volts after approximately 30 minutes. I would normally let the inverter complete the automatic 4 hour cycle, however the only way I can stop the detector alarm permanently is to stop the equalization process.

The high voltage used to equalize the batteries is causing off-gassing. Hydrogen will set off an LP alarm, as will a number of other gasses.

If you pull the fuse or disconnect a wire to disable the alarm, there is a danger you could forget to reconnect it when the equalizing is complete.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without hearing or haveing a description of the alarm pattern (Different alarm patterens mean different thing,they are the 1st diagnostic step) I can think of two things.

One, when equalizing hte batteries do give off gas.. part hydrogen, Part oxygen and occasionally a bit of sulfur as well.

Now we call it a Propane Detector, but fact is it's an explosive gas detector.. Hydrogen for example, will set it off.

Option 2 and much more likely: It is objecting to the high voltage.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly View Post

Update to Nov, 2010 thread. I have had the same problem occur again last night. I think it is time to replace the unit, Model # 7770. CCI Controls, the manufacturer is no longer in business.
Can anybody suggest a reliable replacement supplier for my LP Gas Leak Detector?

Thanks.

2007 35' Itasca Sunrise, W24 chassis.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We call them "Propane Detectors" or "Gas Detectors" (Thinking of propane or LP) but they the proper name is "Explosive Gas Detector"

One such gas, is Hydrogen..

When you equalize a battery, that is a "Controlled over charge" and when you over charge flooded wet cells it tends to "Boil" the battery.. but those bubbles are not steam such as you find in a pan of boiling water on the stove, They are a combination of two elemental gases.. HYDROGEN and Oxygen, in the ratio of 2 to one (Brown's gas I think it's called) very very highly explosive in fact.. The perfect ratio of those two gasses.

This is why when you jump start a car with a dead battery you should always make your last connection not to the battery, but to the chassis, motor or frame at a distance from the battery.. Likewise breake that "Remote" connection first..

If you ever add a spark to a cloud of brown's gas.. You will 1: Understand why and 2: Very likely never make that mistake again in this lifetime.

IN short the detector may well be working as designed.

It may also be (Depending on the alarm pattern) Be telling you something is wrong electronicaly..... Like "Supply voltage too high" which, by the way, is HOW you over charge the batteries.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To wa8wxm:

I have four 6 volt house batteries that are now four years old. I usually equalize about twice per year. Two of the batteries are under the steps, which it open to the road below and the other two are in my storage compartment, but vented overboard. I suspect the problem with my "Propane Detector" is voltage related. The specifications show the high voltage tolerance is 16 volts. During equalization, the voltage peaks at 15.5 volts so I thought it must be something else causing the alarm, however I am sure that the high end tolerance is probably approximate, not precise!

I tend to agree with you that there is probably nothing wrong with the detector.

Thanks,

2007 35' Itasca, W24 chassis.

Tags
batteries, gas, leak