Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gen Set Problems

I had a friend help me (he did all the work) tune and get my gen set running to perfection two days ago. This morning when you press any one of the three remote starter points (Dash, Range Hood and on generator) all I get is a loud click. I don't want to bother my friend again so I am looking at possible solutions. Load tested all the batteries and they are good. Could there be a fuse or relay not working as specified??
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

A loud click might be the starter solenoid clicking but the starter itself is not functional any longer. Easy fix to install a new starter if you can get it.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #3

Save your money on a starter, until you actually know what's wrong.

Find a troubleshooting guide and go thru the steps or get someone who know how to check it out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Very well could be a ground problem. Also check all the battery connections.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The starter motor was replaced with a brand new one last fall. It would start and run spasmodically on the two trips we've done this year and we did a complete tuneup and oil change. Ran great yesterday but this morning it would only try to imitate a clock. I will check the ground tomorrow during the daylight hours. Thanks for ideas.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
While you are checking the grounds it won't hurt to check and clean the positive connection too.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #7

Are you saying it was clicking like a clock?

If so, that is a classic sign of bad connections. Clean the ground cable, near the generator ( both ends ) and the ones on the batteries that start the generator. Also check the positive battery cable on the start solenoid.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
All battery connections were cleaned and replaced using dielectric grease on all connections. It is pouring with rain at the moment so as soon as it is clear i will check grounds etc at the generator itself.