Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2017, 06:52 AM   #1

Gen won't start - 5500 Onan

Can a so-so mechanical person get some advice here?

Above gen in a Georgetown 329. Really low hours, gen not used much as we have been going to full hook ups lately.

It just turns over and over and won't fire. Before taking it in or having a pro look at it, are there some basic things I can do or check?

I am ok mechanically inclined but never on a generator, actually have never even taken off the cover.
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
Community Administrator

How much fuel do you have in your tank ? The generator needs at least 1/4-1/3 to operate. Also the fuel in the generator could have varnished from non use. It's recommended to run it monthly for an hour or two under load.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #3

If it's a gas gen, then I use starting fluid like you use on a lawn mower. Also if the batteries are low mine is hard to start. Hopefully once you get it running for awhile it will start the next time on it's own.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

Fuel is 3/4. My coach batteries are on a tender and the coach started fine and I ran it for about ten minutes before trying.

I will try the starting fluid today to see if that helps. Not exactly sure how to do that but I will check it out.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
. It's recommended to run it monthly for an hour or two under load.
Noted and will do this from now on. The RV does sit sometimes for months covered, on tenders and no use. It is at my house so easy enough to go out and fire it up.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:24 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Remove the air filter, give it a two second blast of starter fluid in the throat of the carb, then try and start it. It may crank, attempt to run for a second, then stop.

If it acts like it was starting, you probably have a bad fuel pump or plugged filter.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Remove the air filter, give it a two second blast of starter fluid in the throat of the carb, then try and start it. It may crank, attempt to run for a second, then stop.

If it acts like it was starting, you probably have a bad fuel pump or plugged filter.
Very helpful. Will give this a go. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
On an gas genny fuel pumps are failure prone. Test by rigging a small tank to provide a gravity feed. If it runs, replace pump. Easy to do. Not expensive via Amazon.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #9

It is gas. I have 26 hrs on it total.

I tried the starting fluid. The genny fired up and ran for like 3 seconds and dies.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #10

Don't replace the fuel pump on a guess.

Remove the gas line at the carburator and hold the start switch on OFF for 20 seconds or so and see if gas pumps out of the line. Catch the gas in a rag.

You may have a PRIME switch out on the generator that will run the fuel pump also. You can hear the pump while priming. It will go fast and then slow down when the pressure goes up.

If you have fuel to the carburetor, you have plugged jets or stuck float inside it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
It is gas. I have 26 hrs on it total.

I tried the starting fluid. The genny fired up and ran for like 3 seconds and dies.
Likely a fuel pump as it fired right up with starter fluid. I had nearly same issue except mine ran for 10 min and quit, sit a few min and then ran 8 min and quit. This made it real hard to figure out. Turned out the fuel pump got hot internally and shut itself down. Replaced pump and all good. These pumps are weak!
One more test,you could remove the fuel line right below the fuel filter and next to the carb. Point into a small bucket and hit the starter for say 30 seconds. No fuel then it is the pump. I got one on ebay.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #12

Tomorrow I will give a go on the fuel line removal and hit the primer. I assume more than the front panel has to come off to get to this fuel line?
Old 07-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #13

My Marquis Gold was easy after front sound cover removed.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
My fuel pump and line was accessible underneath the coach (under the genny)

Tags
onan