Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Generac 75D help needed

I have a Generac 75D generator in my RV. This morning when leaving a park for an overnight stop it would start but shut down as soon as the start switch was released. Same result on multiple tries. Moved to our next location with no generator. Did some looking this afternoon and hope someone can answer a technical question. It appears it is shutting down doe to either a bad control board or a problem with the coolant over temp switch. If I remove the wire on terminal point 12 at the control board and jumper point 12 to 12 volts while cranking it will start and continue to run fine. If I check the voltage at point 12 while cranking I get 8 volts. Question – should the circuit board cause the generator to shut down with 8 volts applied? If 8 volts is to low the problem should be the over temperature switch as the over temperature switch had 12 volts going to it. The circuit board is about $300 but I probably can’t get one till Tuesday afternoon due to the weekend (we are scheduled to leave this location Tuesday AM). Easy to replace once I get it. May take as long to get an over temperature switch but it will take significant time to replace the switch (8 plus hours minimum) due to its location. The circuit board is Generac p/n 093642 and the over temperature switch is Generac p/n OD2791. Tempted to jumper 12 volts to terminal point 12 and let the parts catch up to me late next week. Any input will be appreciated.
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #2

I have the same generator as you. Mine would run for awhile, usually around 5-10 minutes then quit. I read here of a similar problem that turned out to be the hi-temp sensor. My generator does not slide out ( I wish it did) but I was still able to remove enough of the cladding to get the top plate off. I could never see the sensor but it is near the top behind the manifold and when I unhooked the wire from the sensor the generator would run with no problems. I replaced the sensor ( even though you can't see it, it is reasonably easy to get a wrench on and thread it out) and have had no further problems with it quitting. I really can't see 8 hours to do the change out, I'm thinking it was more like 1-2 and that's for a back yard guy, not a pro. Hope this helps.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Thanks. Time was based on replacing the fan belt (not the drive belt) very difficult access for old hands. If I could slide the generator out it would probably be a 30 min max job even if I replaced the coolant at the same time.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #4

The part I changed was the 0D2791 listed as the thermo switch. I did not remove any belts or drain the coolant. It was a while ago but my if memory is correct once I determined it was the faulty part I got ready for a quick swap to minimize coolant loss but I don't believe any came out anyway. Once the top cladding was off I found it was pretty easy to reach over the head to find the sensor ( you will be able to trace the harness to the block and the there is enough length that you will be able to see the clip to unhook to test if your problem goes away) even without the generator sliding out. The worst part was getting the cladding off, I believe I had to take both the front and drivers side panels off before I could get the top off, a lot of screws. I did use an air rachet that made it easier on the hands. Good luck whatever you decide.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Thank you. I'll be ordering the temp sensor (thermo switch) and control board tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
Just to complete the story. Replaced the control board, coolant temp switch and generator brushes. One of the brushed was obviously arching and was no longer sliding properly in the brush holder. 8 hours later in 98 degree heat and the generator is running fine.