Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Generac 75D Starting Issue Resolved

Ever since I've owned this 2001 National Marlin (4 years), the Generac 7.5KW diesel generator has been hard to crank and occasionally would start. I had tried everything over several years including 3 starters and 2 solenoids. It turns out that by accident I discovered that the spacer for the starter motor was aluminum and was not permanently attached to the flange that held the motor. This spacer had oxidized to such an extent that the ground path from the starter was restricted and the starter drew excessive amps. It was a grounding issue but not where most everyone suspected. I thoroughly cleaned the spacer and flange, etc. and it cranks every time now. Am also using dielectric grease on all electric connections including the spacer.

I hope this will help someone who might have this setup. I cost me a lot of money and hours of effort.
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Wow great troubleshooting thanks.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
Wow great troubleshooting thanks.

I may use Ox-Gard on the aluminum flanges although it took 18 years for the oxidation to get this bad. If it wasn't so difficult to get the back mounting bolt in and out (starter motor), I definitely would put it on all the aluminum surfaces.

Thanks for the reply. I hope it helps someone else.
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:33 AM   #4

No need to remove the starter, run a short ground cable from a easy accessible starter bolt to the engine block or generator ground point.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #5

I need to replace the drive belt Idler pulley and both belts on my Quietpact 75D. Where do you guys get your parts?
AF Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:28 AM   #6

Good info. Thanks.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generac