RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 11:55 PM   #1

Generac Generator runs, no power

Our 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire has a Generac Guardian Quietpact 75G onboard generator. In the 4 years we've had the MH there have been no problems. Then a couple of days ago, the generator ran but had no 120 VAC output. We hired a mobile mechanic who made the following diagnoses:
The Converter is working OK but has no power coming to it.
The Transfer switch is working OK
When we started the generator, the transfer switch clicked / clunked indicating it sensed some current from the generator and changed from shore power mode to generator power mode.
However, after a few seconds or any load, there is no 120 VAC output.
The rest of the electrical system tested OK.
Thus, he felt the generator drive belt was either slipping or at least partially missing, but that is work he does not do. Generac apparently uses a drive belt from the generator engine to the electricity-generating magnetos (unlike Onan that uses a direct drive).
We have been traveling from Nevada through western Arizona, heading for Desert Hot Springs CA (Palm Springs area). I have called several RV repair places from Lake Havasu to Quartzsite but have been unable to find someone / someplace to work on it.
Questions:
Is it possible there is a different problem causing the symptoms?
Does anyone know of someone that can / will work on a Generac generator near Palm Springs?
Failing that, how difficult is it for me to access the generator and replace the drive belt? I consider myself moderately handy, but approach this with trepidation. What steps would be required to even get access to it?

As usual, thanks for your guidance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 12:27 AM   #2

did he or you check the two circuit breakers on the genny have tripped? reset both and see what happens.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I would check the voltage at the transfer switch where the generator output wires attach and work backwards. If belt was slipping I would think you would have heard something irregular.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #4

There should be a junction box near the generator where the generator wires meet the RV wiring.

Been a few cases of burnt wire nuts in that box.

If the belt was slipping and the voltage dropped off, the engine should shut down.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #5

Checked everything suggested so far

Thanks for suggestions / comments so far.

I had checked the circuit breakers on the genset - turned them off and on, felt them to make sure they hadn't tripped. The mechanic also checked them - actually, one of the first tests.

The mechanic took the cover off the transfer switch. We both inspected all the wires leading to and inside the transfer box/switch. Everything was tight with no discoloration. (BTW - all lug nut connections, no wire nuts).

He checked voltage at the transfer switch on the cables coming from the generator - 0 (I watched and noted that, also). He actually used 2 different meters as a double-check.

More suggestions are always appreciated.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check your voltage regulator, after that i would start checking the armature windings and or the stator in the gen itself.
As far as places that could work on it. Try calling around to motor rewinding shops and see if they can take a look at it.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #7

Another week, no resolution

We finally found someone to take a look at our generator in Desert Hot Springs, CA.
He found the belt was turning (slightly) but only generating maybe 20 - 30 (cycles?) so not enough to put out any power.
He called Generac, and shared with us what they told him:
Generacs apparently are known to leak oil, and the oil has probably dripped down on the belt in its protective housing at the bottom of the generator. This has most likely caused to belt to slip in a major way, accounting for the symptoms we've noted.
They told him the only solution is to pull the generator from the MH, fix whatever's causing the oil leak, then replace the belt.
The generator is not on rails that can be slid out -- the bottom is below the level of the bay door latch.

So I'm still trying to find someone that will actually work on it in the Palm Springs / Coachella Valley / Joshua Tree area of southern California.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arboldt View Post
Our 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire has a Generac Guardian Quietpact 75G onboard generator. In the 4 years we've had the MH there have been no problems. Then a couple of days ago, the generator ran but had no 120 VAC output. We hired a mobile mechanic who made the following diagnoses:
The Converter is working OK but has no power coming to it.
The Transfer switch is working OK
When we started the generator, the transfer switch clicked / clunked indicating it sensed some current from the generator and changed from shore power mode to generator power mode.
However, after a few seconds or any load, there is no 120 VAC output.
The rest of the electrical system tested OK.
Thus, he felt the generator drive belt was either slipping or at least partially missing, but that is work he does not do. Generac apparently uses a drive belt from the generator engine to the electricity-generating magnetos (unlike Onan that uses a direct drive).
We have been traveling from Nevada through western Arizona, heading for Desert Hot Springs CA (Palm Springs area). I have called several RV repair places from Lake Havasu to Quartzsite but have been unable to find someone / someplace to work on it.
Questions:
Is it possible there is a different problem causing the symptoms?
Does anyone know of someone that can / will work on a Generac generator near Palm Springs?
Failing that, how difficult is it for me to access the generator and replace the drive belt? I consider myself moderately handy, but approach this with trepidation. What steps would be required to even get access to it?

As usual, thanks for your guidance.
What else can you expect? It's a generac...
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #9

does generac post or have a list of authorized service centers?
Old 11-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
does generac post or have a list of authorized service centers?
Early on I called Generac and they gave me the name of their authorized service company in southern California. I can't remember its name right now. I filled out a contact request online; they called me back a few days later.
They're based in LA area (one of the 'Beach' towns), and charge $135/hour portal-to-portal + $1.60 (?) per mile each way, so I'd pay over $1,000 at their hourly rate just for them to get here before they actually looked at it. The guy who called me told me they're geared towards corporations and big fixed-site generators; it really wasn't worth it for an individual to use them.
Old 11-04-2020, 06:12 PM   #11

that’s unfortunate. maybe an RV service center, local dealer? check RV Service Reviews
Old 11-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #12

I had almost the same thing on our Motorhome. It would produce 120 volt with a light load but with several thing on it would lose all power. We have a 05 Newmar Kountry Star. I think it would be almost impossible to replace the belt without removing generator from MH. I did it my self and it was not to bad. I would suggest you call Wes Schwaim 951/405/8007 he does not always answer his phone, so don't give up keep trying. He was very helpful. He is in Southern Calif. Had the parts I needed and shipped quickly. Had more knowledge on a Generac than anyone else I have talked to. We bought our MH 9/30/2011 and the dealer put a new drive belt on it at that time, lasted 9 years. I believe they suggest around 1000 hrs before a new belt is installed. We had about 1200 hrs. On the the other side of the generator is a fan belt for cooling. I replaced it also. We live in Ok and I could not find anyone willing to tackle the job, so I did it. Wes would probable know of people willing to do the job. If I can answer any questions message me or reply back on this post.
strongcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #13

Issue solved - finally

After 2 mobile mechanics who did diagnoses but said they couldn't fix it, and calling RV dealers and repair places, finally found a place in Yucca Valley that would work on it; scheduled and appoint 2 weeks away. Took it there yesterday, then went into Joshua Tree National Park for a few hours.

I'd told him what the other mechanics had done and said, but stressed that was not a definitive answer. He did some diagnosis and first called me to say he'd have to remove the generator, and it'd be a couple weeks before he could get to it, then order parts, etc. I gave ok.
He called me less than 2 hours later to say he'd gotten it fixed. He needed an hour or so to get everything put back together. Turns out it WAS the voltage regulator, and he happened to have one in stock. It wasn't the belt after all.

When we got back, the generator was running, and he showed me the AC-only appliances in the coach were running.
Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratob377 View Post
Check your voltage regulator, after that i would start checking the armature windings and or the stator in the gen itself.
As far as places that could work on it. Try calling around to motor rewinding shops and see if they can take a look at it.

Tags
generac, generator, no power, power