Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generac Q55G Starter Motor replacement

It appears that I need to replace the starter motor on my Generac generator. The starter contactor appears to be okay. The start button energizes the contactor and the lead going to the starter motor shows 12 volts, but the starter motor itself does not engage.
Having looked over the owner's manual, I believe I know where the starter motor is located, but I have no idea what I have to disassemble in order to get to it to remove/test it. It appears that it may be best to remove the whole generator from the motorhome to work on it.
I know different motorhomes have different installations, but I suspect most of them are squeezed in there pretty tight and disassembling them in place is difficult at best.
If anyone has had any experience with this, I would appreciate your feedback.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 11:38 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just did mine this past spring. Had to take the generator completely out to get to it. Only way I could do it. Not a huge deal though...

This is what I did:

Switch off your salesman (so no volts at battery lead)
Disconnect +ve battery lead, ground wire (if necessary), fuel line, wire harness for remote starter, your AC wiring and muffler (this was the hardest part for mine). It helps to tag each wire with a little piece of tape so you know how to put it all back together or take some pics along the way for reference.

Then you can unbolt the whole tray from the underside so that it slides out as a whole unit. You are going to need a hand getting it onto a cart/table so you can work on it.

After that it is just a matter of removing the right parts to get to the starter motor bolts. I removed it, brought it to a starter shop and had it rebuilt. Cheap. Put it back in and reversed the process. No issues.

Hope this helps.
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the advice, Jeff.
I had already ordered a replacement starter online before I got your advice. I didn't even think about getting my own starter rebuilt. Oh well.
I followed your instructions and got the job done. Not as difficult as I thought it would be.
Thanks much!
Old 10-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Generator

How did you remove the generator? Did it slide out of the cubby hole or did it go down to remove it?

I have a leak on the back side of the generator and can't seem to see or get to the leak and repair it.

Thanks.
yn1bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:58 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by yn1bennett View Post
How did you remove the generator? Did it slide out of the cubby hole or did it go down to remove it?

I have a leak on the back side of the generator and can't seem to see or get to the leak and repair it.

Thanks.
Mine has four bolts that I had to remove from underneath the generator and then it slid out. I was surprised that the framework that it set in wasn't a complete "box". It was just a rail on each side, so when it was unbolted, the rails moved around a bit and I was concerned that they might spread far enough apart that the generator would fall out the bottom.
It is somewhat heavy, but it wasn't quite as heavy as I thought it would be. For what I did, I didn't have to take it all the way out. In your case, you probably will remove it completely, so I would suggest having a helper.
Good Luck.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, starter