Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #1

Generator Automatic Fail Over

Greetings All,

I did a search before posting here, so my apologies if this has been asked and answered...

Is it possible to have the onboard Onan 5500 generator automatically start if shore power goes out? I am looking for a way to have this fail safe method occur if we are away from the rig while off exploring an area.

I know this is possible with residential/commercial generators, and would like to have this insurance for our Grand Design Momentum 351M Toy Hauler.

Thanks in advance,
We-R-B.O.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2021, 06:17 PM   #2

Yes, its called a AGS system ( Automatic Generator Start )

https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energ...hoCbJ0QAvD_BwE
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Technically, the AGS won't start the generator when power goes off. You can set the Air Conditioning to on, and the temp setting on the AGS to a medium temp, and if the power goes off, and the temp goes up, then the AGS will start the generator.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Technically, the AGS won't start the generator when power goes off. You can set the Air Conditioning to on, and the temp setting on the AGS to a medium temp, and if the power goes off, and the temp goes up, then the AGS will start the generator.
Or if the batteries drop to a level that you set. Assume this accomplishes the objectives you would have if the power drops.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 5500 and a Magnum 2012 inverter and I added the AGS myself. It was pretty easy except for pulling in all of the wiring required.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Kind of brut force but what about using the AGS and setting for battery voltage of anything below 13 volts.
My guess is when you have power the converter/charger keeps your batteries above 13 volts and when power goes out it will drop below 13 quickly. Have it set for an hour and hopefully the power will be back on by then.
repeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeach View Post
Kind of brut force but what about using the AGS and setting for battery voltage of anything below 13 volts.

My guess is when you have power the converter/charger keeps your batteries above 13 volts and when power goes out it will drop below 13 quickly. Have it set for an hour and hopefully the power will be back on by then.
You would still need a short delay. If the battery volts dips from moving a slide or inverter, you don't want false starts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Yes, its called a AGS system ( Automatic Generator Start )

https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energ...hoCbJ0QAvD_BwE

Thanks, Twinboat. This looks like a great device to have, as it monitors not only loss of power, but temps, and battery drain as well.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks, HarryStone. Makes sense
Old 07-15-2021, 04:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I have a 5500 and a Magnum 2012 inverter and I added the AGS myself. It was pretty easy except for pulling in all of the wiring required.
Thanks, UFO Pilot. I am hoping that whatever AGS i get, the wiring will not be too daunting of task.
Old 07-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #11

There is a product that will start the generator in the event of a power failure, has nothing to do with temperature or battery voltage and works independent of the inverter/charger. I can't remember the name of it at the moment.
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 02:22 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
https://rvautomations.com/features/

Pdeinc, I believe this is what you are talking about.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:00 AM   #13

Quote:
https://rvautomations.com/features/

Pdeinc, I believe this is what you are talking about.
Actually that's not the one I was remembering but it certainly does what I described plus has the ability to send a text alert which is even better yet. I haven't found the one I was referring to but paused in my search to read about this one.
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator