Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #1

Generator Help

i have an onan 4000, 4kyfa26100k, runs for about 3-4 minutes and shuts down, i have replaced fuel pump,fuel filter, hose to carburator, put short hose in can of high test gas, and replaced carburater, have full tank of gas. any and all help will be appreciated. it flashes fuel code 36.
inbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #2

Do you have more then a quarter tank of gas? They put the pickup for the genny above the bottom of the tank around a quarter tank, give or take a couple gallons.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #3

First, when it shuts down, open the bowl drain and see if its empty. If it has gas, its not fuel. By-passing the gas tank, to a gas can, elemenates all of the chassis gas lines and tank.

You need to get an old fashion timing light and clip it on the spark plug wire. That way you can see if the ignition cuts out, making it stall.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Do you have more then a quarter tank of gas? They put the pickup for the genny above the bottom of the tank around a quarter tank, give or take a couple gallons.
i am aware of that, if you read my post i have a full tank, eliminated that with short hose and can of gas.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Check the power and ground to the fuel shut-off solenoid that is in the bottom of the float bowl. Fixed a friends generator by tightening bolt for the ground wire. I was a self tapping bolt, I believe with a serrated washer, when they assemble them they don't use enough torque to bottom the fastener and the wire terminal vibrates enough to lose the ground and turn off the fuel.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Me, I would be looking at the Water Temp, Oil Pressure sensor or if Voltage is bing produce. Those are the 3 items that would shut it down.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Me, I would be looking at the Water Temp, Oil Pressure sensor or if Voltage is bing produce. Those are the 3 items that would shut it down.
rv gen. no water temp to worry about, no oil sensor on this model. all electric works fine what time it runs.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try taking some oil out. Took about. 4 ounces out of mine. Have read of others having to do the same. Stay in the middle part of the range on the dip stick.
tiogaearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:15 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
We had a code 36 which, in effect, means "I turned off but I don't know why".

As you've already found the code is of little value except to rule our all of the problems for which you would get a different code. Our symptoms were much like yours, start fine, run for a short time and shut off.

FWIW, in our case we had a good tech troubleshooting and he eventually found one of the connectors going to the fuel filter wasn't on straight or tight. It didn't allow fuel to leak but it did allow air to be sucked in at the fitting. Once that was straightened and tightened our generator ran normally again. Our generator had been serviced at Spartan only 5 months previously, but since we seldom run the generator it took a while to discover the problem.

Good luck.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I am now reading up on your generator. Is there a code showing?

https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs...__opm_2015.pdf
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
The good news is that the engine side of things is typically way less expensive to get working. Make sure the linkage that goes to the choke isn't binding up. You already put a "new" carb on? Did you change the carb for this "exact" problem?
The engine definitely runs after you let go of the start switch?

You probably have all the manuals but if not;
http://www.twinslan.net/~n0nas/manuals/onan/

Also, the guys over at smokstak.com have helped me from time to time.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
I am now reading up on your generator. Is there a code showing?

https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs...__opm_2015.pdf
Per the OP it’s an Onan showing code 36 which is a catch all code when the controller didn’t shut the engine off.

Code 36: “Indicates that the engine stopped without receiving a command from the control.”
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator