Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Generator not generating power - any experts out there?

I have an Onan 4000 Microquiet (gas). Last week my air conditioner compressor fried and when it died it knocked out power to the generator, which was running at the time. No circuit breakers tripped, either in the RV, or on the generator itself. Resetting the generator breaker (which did not appear to be tripped) does not resolve the issue.
The RV shop I went to suspects the brushes are bad. Would a shorted circuit blow out the brushes or might it be more ominous? Any thoughts or procedures to troubleshoot this unit?
Also concerned as to why no breakers tripped, a/c, Main, or generator.
We're leaving on a trip soon and really need this generator to work!
Thanks for any help you can offer.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #2

No expert but a thought.
How many hrs. on the generator? Those models 4K MQ seem to need brushes etc. around 500-700 hrs. may have been a coincidence. The leads can get flakey prior to the brushes being totally spent.
Some can go out of tolerance in between exercise cycles.

Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
About 250 hours on generator. I understand it's a big job to change these out as you have to drop the genset from the motorhome.
I hope I didn't burn up the armature wiring, it concerns me that none of the breakers tripped.....
Old 08-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #4

So it runs, but nothing works?

I've read that the generator will shut down if it doesn't see an output voltage. I'd search around and verify that. Then I'd get out my volt meter and check for voltage at the breaker.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:32 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Might take a look at the switch box? The one that switches from shore power to gen power. I would say that may be fried.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

^^^ you mean the transfer switch?
Re-reading the OP, I perceived him to say he'd visited a shop and they'd determined the brushes were gone.
So, yeah. OP You've eliminated the transfer switch right? Is there potential from the generator to it? As someone posted if it's not producing the rated potential it may shut down the engine and issue a fault code. There may also be a fused exciter circuit and PC card in there too. You should be able to find a schematic and or a trouble shooting guide on-line. But I think they have to pull the flywheel to get to the brushes.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:01 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
^^^ you mean the transfer switch?
Re-reading the OP, I perceived him to say he'd visited a shop and they'd determined the brushes were gone.
So, yeah. OP You've eliminated the transfer switch right? Is there potential from the generator to it? As someone posted if it's not producing the rated potential it may shut down the engine and issue a fault code. There may also be a fused exciter circuit and PC card in there too. You should be able to find a schematic and or a trouble shooting guide on-line. But I think they have to pull the flywheel to get to the brushes.
No transfer switch. This is a class c, has a plug receptacle; plug cord in for generator, remove for shore power. Everything works on shore power (except air conditioner which is fried).
Presumably they checked the receptacle box, but I will check to see if the wires are burned off when I get it back from the repair shop. They have recommended I take to a generator repair shop for further diagnosis.
The only fault code is a solid red light on the generator switch, which indicates no power. Generator engine runs fine and does not shut down by itself.

Tags
generator, power