Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #1

Generator Problem

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2012 Tiffin Open Road. It is new to me. We went on our first long trip of about 6 weeks. I am having a problem with the generator. It is an Onan RV QG 7000 (Gas).

It ran great for most all the trip. We only used it to run the 2 A/C units while traveling in the middle of hot days. We also used it one night for a boondocking stop. There we ran it for several hours. On the last day of the trip, it stopped running. We started it up and ran the 2 A/C units. It quit and would not restart.

I checked it once I got home, it tied to start but would sputter and backfire through the carburetor. I thought it was not getting fuel. The fuel pump seems to be working. I put the fuel line in a bucket and ran the prime. It seemed to pump fuel good. I have changed the plugs and took the carb off and cleaned it with carb cleaner.

When I put it back together, I realized it is spitting gas out of the carburetor. It appears to be flooding. I could get it to run if I held the choke open but it did not sound right and it spit fuel. It did not backfire anymore.

I am a loss as what to do next. I really donít want to take it to Cummins/Onan but I am out of ideas. I have read that a bad valve or rod may cause this problem. I hope it is not that.

I am hoping someone can give me more information on what to do next.

Thanks, as always
VC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just viewed a video about QD3200 diesel powered Onan with a Hatz engine. The exhaust valve rocker had loosened to the point where the push rod dropped away from contact with the rocker. The factory had changed over from a nut with jam-nut to secure, to a tall nut with Allen set screw insert to jam the setting. Coughing out the intake was the main symptom. All fixed with original parts.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC63 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am a loss as what to do next. I really donít want to take it to Cummins/Onan but I am out of ideas. ....
Buy a portable generator. I have two.

When I bought my first MH, the gas Onan would start but not run under load. Bought a 800 watt Harbor Freight generator to charge batteries.

I eventually got it running with a rigged fuel tank and a lot of seafoam.

Gummed up carb and fuel line.

When my current MH was new to me, the LP Onan would run under load for about 20 minutes then stop producing voltage.

Replaced the voltage regulator. If it not one thing it is another.

Last year bought a Powerhouse inverter/generator large enough to power one A/C. A lot cheaper than Onan parts or going the dealer.

I boondock a lot and propane can be a limiting factor of how long I stay in the woods. The LP Onan is temperamental. It runs best when it is hot and likes an A/C or two. However, I have fixed about everything that is accessible.

Run both portable gas generators periodically. I wag my finger at them and say 'you are cheap and will throw you away if you give me trouble'.

I would also replace the spark plug wires. I use a lot of starting fuel on my LP Onan when it is cold. Try spaying starting fuel when your gasoline engine is running. If it runs better that could mean your carburetor is bad.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I would want to fix the one you have, if it were me.
Do some searching on this forum, there have been plenty of generator issues and some good information on fixing most issues. I have the same generator and mine was fixed with a replacement of the fuel pump and the fuel line from the pump to the carburetor.
Once it's fixed it is extremely handy to have so that everything electrical will work.
Thanks,
wog099 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:32 PM   #5

How many hours ? And can you post pictures ? When was last time cleaned armature rings ? I don't think that's. It.. use all safety precautions.. use something that can hold choke open and not get sucked in.. spray with starting fluid and crank .. see if fires up.. report back on findings.. oh.. did you pull carb to clean.. or did you take anything apart on the carb? Good luck let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you.. really what ever you do.. don't get new carb.. old one is made for cleaning.. and your fuel tank needs to be full.. just added story .. I found on mine critters ate small hole.. it pumped gas fine.. but would suck air as fuel level in tank went down.. the air was tiny bubbles you could not see.. finally found small hole in hose at top of tank. Just making store short.. also found old fuel line was cracking and just plain old.. so replaced all that.. when things go haywire and don't make sense keep critters in the back of your mind all the time..
Old 09-07-2021, 04:41 PM   #6

Do a compression test on the cylinders.
OldWEB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, problem