RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 08:42 PM   #1

Generator runs but only gives brief burst of power (somewhat urgent).

I have a weird problem with my Onan RV QG 4000 generator.

The generator starts, it gives a quick burst of power and then it continues to run but no more power.

I can see this by observing the clock on the microwave when I start the generator. It flashes on for about a second and then goes out while the generator continues to run.

I can find numerous articles and videos about no power at all (check the breakers etc) and the generator stopping after a few seconds (oil level) but nothing about this problem.

I have flipped breakers on and off both on the coach panel and the one at the generator (nothing was tripped) also had all breakers off except some for receptacles and there is no voltage.

This RV does not have a transfer switch, just a socket to plug into the generator.

I'm writing this from a Walmart parking lot in Texas on the last night of our trip from New Hampshire to Houston. We ran the generator a few hours while driving today to run the A/C for the three cats Before today, only generator use has been a few minutes at a time to make a cup of coffee in the microwave.

Unless someone has some magic advice it's going to be a cold dinner and a hot night. We weren't intending to run it all night but maybe for a while. The parking lot is almost empty so noise is not a problem. We'll reach our destination tomorrow where we will have house power.

Thanks for any advice.

PS: Could it be overheating? It feels really hot when I take the panel off but, I've never taken it off after it was running before so maybe that's normal. And, I just tried it again after typing this so it would have cooled down a bit and this time it lasted a bit longer, maybe five seconds rather than a quick flash.
tetranz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many hours are on the generator?

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
How many hours are on the generator?

We recently bought the RV (2017 Winnebogo Winnie Minnie) so don't know the maintenance history of the generator.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.c...r-Handbook.pdf

There's the manual.

Are you getting a fault code?

Old 09-20-2020, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.c...r-Handbook.pdf

There's the manual.

Are you getting a fault code?
Thanks for the manual link. I'll check for fault codes in the morning. It's a bit dark to be messing around out there now.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:25 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
From the manual link: The generator will continue to run after a circuit breaker trips. Turn off all appliances before resetting the breaker.
You have ensured the A/C is 'off' before starting the Onan?
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
From the manual link: The generator will continue to run after a circuit breaker trips. Turn off all appliances before resetting the breaker.
You have ensured the A/C is 'off' before starting the Onan?
Yes I've started it with everything off. I get that about the generator running after a breaker trips. That doesn't seem to be what's happening here.

We survived the night, no problem. After Walmart closed, the parking lot was totally deserted. It's a bit of an out of the way place and we started to wonder if this was a wise place to be, especially with the windows open a little but whatever ... we decided to stay.

We'll probably push on now and investigate the generator further in more comfortable surroundings when we get to our destination later today.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #8

Just following up on this.

It turned out to be a faulty breaker at the generator.

Fixed at a reasonable price and good service from Elite RV & Car Care in Humble, TX.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for posting the resolution !!
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update, glad to hear you found the problem.

Tags
power, generator