Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Generator shuts down when traveling in hot weather

My 2017 ACE 30.3 generator (Onan 4000) shuts down when traveling in hot weather. I think it needs a outside fresh air intake to provide clean cooler outside air . Anyone out there had this problem and solved it? I could use some ideas. I am thinking of a air vent I can open to scoop in fresh air (see photo attached), in hot weather. Then it could be closed in milder temperatures. I would mount this vent in the generator access door directly in front of fresh air intake on generator. Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3457.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	211466
RBC2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 04:24 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When did this start happening to you? When was the last time your oil was changed?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:32 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Somewhere in the archives is a really long story on the ACE and Generator overheating problems. Try searching for that thread.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Had similar problem with my ole 2001 Mirada. I put vents in the cover to help exit the air.

Generator Compartment vents – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

NOTE - I seen somewhere that one of the builders (Thor??) sold custom vents that looked like they were specifically designed for the Onan. They were similar to what we did but the vent had a short piece of duct that went up near the Onan cooling air exhaust outlet.

FOUND IT Forest River..

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ds-114044.html

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Somewhere in the archives is a really long story on the ACE and Generator overheating problems. Try searching for that thread.

Thank you
Old 07-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #6

Is it shutting down going straight or on curvy roads thru towns. Many years ago on my old onan bfa, when the oil was hot, a tad low on oil and a curvy road it would detect low oil and shut down. It would start right up and keep running. Could be hot but could be just a little low on oil on a really hot day.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/ace-...-a-125555.html
Old 07-20-2018, 08:02 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
Is it shutting down going straight or on curvy roads thru towns. Many years ago on my old onan bfa, when the oil was hot, a tad low on oil and a curvy road it would detect low oil and shut down. It would start right up and keep running. Could be hot but could be just a little low on oil on a really hot day.

My generator is definitely shutting down from overheating. I know it needs fresh air. I am simply trying to find someone who has a phone # or email for a supplier of the vent that forest river puts on their problem generators. Or if anyone out there has used the air scooping type vent in my photo that can be opened when it’s hot out and when driving fresh air will be forced into fresh air intake on generator. Also in milder weather it could be closed to prevent water dirt ect from entering generator compartment.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #9

How about just adding a fan in the compartment? Genny's running - you have power available!

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:18 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TIP: Easy restart leads to OP issue, where Hard Restart leads to FUEL/ PUMP issue :-)
Old 07-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #11

Installed a boot/grill on my ACE with 4k Onan.

Comes standard on Forrest River FR3 line.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/cont...ml#post4299224
Old 07-22-2018, 02:53 AM   #12

Could be that your oil level is a tad high?
Last week I changed the oil in my Onan Microlite 4000. I filled the oil up to the full mark on the dipstick. I then started it up to let it run for a while. It was a hot day, and after about 20 minutes the generator just quit.
I looked up the problem in the manual, and it said the cause could be the oil level too low or too high.
I sucked a few ounces of oil out of it so the oil level was just about 1/8 of an inch below the full mark and restarted it. Ran for 2 hours and never died again.
I was thinking that if the oil level is just on verge of full, and then run it for a while when the oil heats up it expands just enough and then it trips the high oil level sensor.
Worth a try.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:12 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at the first post of this thread link. It has the part numbers, etc for the Forest River vent duct..

Generator Mods - Forest River Forums

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBC2017 View Post
My 2017 ACE 30.3 generator (Onan 4000) shuts down when traveling in hot weather. I think it needs a outside fresh air intake to provide clean cooler outside air . Anyone out there had this problem and solved it? I could use some ideas. I am thinking of a air vent I can open to scoop in fresh air (see photo attached), in hot weather. Then it could be closed in milder temperatures. I would mount this vent in the generator access door directly in front of fresh air intake on generator. Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.Attachment 211466
We have a 2010 Fleetwood Encounter 32bh, which is the same as the Fleetwood Storm models. The generator is located just behind the engine compartmemt on the drivers side and is surrounded by the exhaust system. This creates a lot of excess heat around the generator and since it's air cooled, it adversely affects its performance, especially in hot weather.

Ours in particular would function fine until ambient temps reached at least 90°, we reached a hill requiring the transmission to down shift AND vehicle speed dropped below 50 mph. If all these conditions were present, the generator would die within a minute.

The reason? Vapor lock. The fuel traveling from the tank to the generator would pass so many heat sources, that as soon as it reached the interior of the generator (before it reached the fuel pump) it would vaporize and the fuel would stop flowing. Turns out Fleetwood ran an uninsulated metal tube along the frame rail, above the exhaust pipe to supply the generator.

I have heard of several other motor home that have this same problem and once you wait for it to cool and airflow to be restored the generator would start right up.I

Solutions that were offered include the vent door opening you noted, plumbing an additional fuel pump closer to the tank to pressurized the whole system, adding a fan to force air into the generator compartment, and rerouting exhaust pipes, both generator and engine.

My wife didn't like the idea of cutting a hole in the side of our motorhome, so I installed a marine bilge fan and ventilation ducting from just behind the front grille to the air intake for the generator. It is on the loud side, but between the engine, road and generator noise it can't be heard at all.

It worked fine in temps up to about 100° and I thought the problem was solved. However, we had to travel through an area at a time when the temps reached 110° ! The generator died again within a minute of slowing down on a hill.

When we returned home I used some extra engine compartment insulation to wrap around the exposed fuel line from the tank until it reached the generator. We have had several high temperature hill climbs since and it seems to be solved, but we haven't encountered any 110° temps since then either.
Hope this helps! Sorry for being so long winded.
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, travel