RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 08:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Generator starting issues

2014 Newmar Ventana 4369 DP. When trying to start the generator all I get is a clicking sound. Batteries are fine. Iíve been charging with the engine when needed. I can run my fridge, coffee maker and anything else I need with no problem. Voltage is at 13.7 and drops to maybe 12.5 with refrigerator and heat running all night. I cleaned all the battery terminals. Any ideas? Possibly a solenoid or relay between batteries and genny?
RudysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 08:47 PM   #2

Have you tried holding the boost switch while starting the generator ?

What your discribing is often a loose connection. Check the ground cable between the generator and frame.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:50 PM   #3

did you clean and tighten the battery connections at the genny?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Have you tried holding the boost switch while starting the generator ?

What your discribing is often a loose connection. Check the ground cable between the generator and frame.
Yes I have tried the battery boost switch. The only connections I cleaned were at the batteries. I will try cleaning others today. They all seemed tight but maybe I missed one.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:38 AM   #5

Did you check the chassis battery connections. Some generators start off them.

As a side note, there is no solenoid hidden between the batteries and the generator. There will be a solenoid on the generator.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

As a side note, there is no solenoid hidden between the batteries and the generator. There will be a solenoid on the generator.
Good to know. How about a relay? I didnít get a chance to mess with it today and Iím pulling out of here in the morning. My next few stops have electric so I shouldnít need the generator. I may or may not get to it until I get home which should be in a week or so. Iíll post if I find something. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:39 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Did your attempts to start the generator occur via an inside remote switch or on the side of the generator?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #8

Forgive a basic question - has the gen worked before, or is this your first experience with it? (Noticed you are fairly new to the forums... not sure of your experience level.) A diesel gen doesn't start immediately... it needs to prime and preheat before the gen starts. You should hold the "stop" side of the gen switch down for about 10 secs to prime the gen and start the preheat. If you are close you should hear a pump running in the gen. Then press the "start" side of the switch... it may take anywhere from 2-10 seconds or more to start, depending upon outside temps. Again, forgive if this is sounding basic, just have seen a lot of new owners posting with varying levels of experience with RV systems.
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:36 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Did your attempts to start the generator occur via an inside remote switch or on the side of the generator?
It was tried from both inside and on the genny with the same results.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:42 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Forgive a basic question - has the gen worked before, or is this your first experience with it? (Noticed you are fairly new to the forums... not sure of your experience level.) A diesel gen doesn't start immediately... it needs to prime and preheat before the gen starts. You should hold the "stop" side of the gen switch down for about 10 secs to prime the gen and start the preheat. If you are close you should hear a pump running in the gen. Then press the "start" side of the switch... it may take anywhere from 2-10 seconds or more to start, depending upon outside temps. Again, forgive if this is sounding basic, just have seen a lot of new owners posting with varying levels of experience with RV systems.
I run it monthly for an hour or more with the ac on when Iím home. Itís always started right up. I do preheat and prime. It also makes the clicking noise when Iím doing that which I thought was a bit strange.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
For generator problems I usually refer to the back of the manual for the flowchart of trouble shooting. Very helpful and somewhat standard in many manuals.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
For generator problems I usually refer to the back of the manual for the flowchart of trouble shooting. Very helpful and somewhat standard in many manuals.
Iím assuming youíre talking abut the generator manual not the RV manual? Iím heading to Michigan this morning and will be there for a week or so. Iíll take a look at it when I get there. Thanks.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I called Newmar and it does start off the chassis batteries.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Just an update. I replaced a solenoid in the chassis battery compartment. The one in there had a lug that wouldnít tighten. Didnít change anything. Called Newmar again this morning and spoke to a different tech. He said he had dealt with this issue before. Told me to continue to hold the starter switch. May take more than a minute. Started in about 45 seconds. He said that should straighten it out.
Thanks for everyoneís input. Much appreciated.

Tags
generator