Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2011, 05:30 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Generator stops after 2 hours

Have a Onan 7 kw it stops after 2 hours with a fault code 36. On the road, need help, thanks.
Rdakri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #2

Here is a trouble shooting guide that may give you some ideas:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/attach...4&d=1248949799

Hope it helps and good luck.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #3

Maybe you can get your model number and use this link to help u.

Cummins Onan
Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
A very common problem this time of the year is the low pressure oil switch.
The high temps cause the oil to thin out quickly sending a stop command, It thinks you are low on oil. (I had this problem)Mine would run 5-7 min. the first run, then after a 1-2 min pause it would restart and run for 2-3 min then shut off again.
Increase the weight of your oil. After doing this mine runs flawless.
Mafiaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
The oil was changed two days ago with 15w-40 (the same weight I used for five years) do you use heavier oil? It always runs for about 2 hours. Then will not start until 10-15 min then will run for 2 hour again. The model number is 5.5HGJAB-901D
Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #6

I'm dying to see what everyone thinks of this one,.... I have this exact generator acting pretty much the same way,..... Thought it was a fuel issue so I fought with it to run it as much as I could on a recent weekend trip,... Just put filled the tank,... It took 18 gallons,..... Drove it around for 45 minutes to mix up the newer fuel and sea foam,..... Same problem...... Spent today draining the tana into cans...... It seems to run great till I put a good load on it (AC)..... Then a while after (when it's good and warmed up) it cuts out,..... When you start it, sometimes it runs for 1 minute,..... Sometimes 35 minutes,...... But at some point it always cuts out,..... I thought it might be water in fuel or too much ethanol,..... When it runs, it runs great,..... Smooth, stable, no missing or backfiring,..... Then it just surges a couple times and dies,....... I've seen code 3 mostly,..... But also 36 on occasion.

Very frustrating, it's a 2011 with 176 hours on it,..... Oil changed recently and that made no difference,.... Pulled plugs and they're clean,..... Fuel was my next option....

Any suggestions? After I confirm it's not fuel, I'm making the 45 min trip to the dealer and dropping it
Matusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Check the rubber fuel line that is clamped to the fuel filter under the genset. (I'll bet it's loose) The rubber degrades and the clamping force is reduced. it starts to suck air, which is easier to move than fuel, as it warms up.
Kerry
Old 06-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's amazing that I saw this post b/c our previous RV had a similar problem. It was a Generac and sometimes would run great. But on occasion, it would start and run a couple of minutes and then stop. Never did figure that one out.

By the way, were do you read the source codes on the Onans?
clarkgriswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
You can read the codes after a fault by pressing stop on the start/ stop switch a few times. It will blink three times, press the stop again, then it will blink 3 time and additional blinks. ( code 36 : blink...blink ... Blink ............... (6 more blinks))
Old 06-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdakri View Post
The oil was changed two days ago with 15w-40 (the same weight I used for five years) do you use heavier oil? It always runs for about 2 hours. Then will not start until 10-15 min then will run for 2 hour again. The model number is 5.5HGJAB-901D
Do you have an inverter, and if so, do you have AGS (auto generator start) on it? If you do, and depending on which brand and model you have, there can be a maximum run time setting in the AGS parameters that you can change. It's there for the purpose of preventing the generator from running forever should it start when you are not around. The fact that it runs for a predictable amount of time, of that extent, points to that as being the issue. If this is the case then tell us which brand and model inverter you have. Then we'll do a little research on it and see if we can walk you through the procedure to reset it. If not the case, well then, disregard this post.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:18 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
No inverter, it usually will run for days
Old 06-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can it not be getting proper air flow and overheating. Try running while stopped with basement door open.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #13

Check for fuel leaks and if its a diesel check the return line to the tank.
2fasttoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My manual says code 36
Check and fill fuel tank
Secure spark plugs leads on spark plugs
check for blocked exhaust
replace air filter element
Remove spark plugs and conduct ignition systems test
Conduct fuel pump tests
Replsce fuel filter